Moss and lichen green the trees
Cold rain needles down
Drafty transit shelter chills
Cold hands tug the hoodie up.

Ezmerelda Raveness
No broom

Re: November Workshop - Jennet

Postby Ezmerelda Raveness » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:05 am

I really like that you have a wide variety of topics. one of the things I need to work on is my writing flexibility, and I think you did that quite nicely. i noticed that some rhymes seem amateur and i say this because i feel as though you didn't reach your full potential with this assignment. i think you have a talent for attention-to-detail writing which means that by simply reading this piece i feel like you are a writer that is capable of capturing the attention of any particular audience you choose to write towards, which is amazing! if i were you, i would channel that when writing :)

Ariella McManus
Silver Arrow

Postby Ariella McManus » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:09 am

I actually loved these poems, especially the second one. It was playful both in tone and style; major kudos to you as that is something I definitely struggle with myself. As mentioned, you show a range in topics and a flexibility that I truly envy. My only critique would be that there wasn't more for me to read!

I loved the last stanza in your last poem; very descriptive and it made me, as the reader actually feel the cold. You paint a very clear picture with your words, as well as evoke feeling, which is not something that everyone can do. You have a real talent; for Merlin's sake don't ever quit writing!!
Ravenclaw Prefect/Head Student/Student Teacher/ar1107
“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”

Lavinia Rookwood
No broom

Postby Lavinia Rookwood » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:14 am

I think I almost like the second haiku best of the ones listed here. There's something about the parenthesis around (we've exchanged emails) that seems almost like a gleeful whisper. It really did paint a full picture. In fact, I say all of you works painted a picture here. It did take me a moment to realize that the three tankas were a bit more separate, only united in theme and not actually one long poem. So I might recommend giving each one a title, even if they stay gathered under the title of "American Winters". Your last tanka was probably the clearest one to me, because it's something I've experienced quite a few times now. So definitely going to say you did well here.

Return to “Poetry Writing”