mIRC won't let me in

Ask Questions About HOL
Please Check the FAQ First

Moderators: Prefect, Headstudent

Kaitlyn Nightingale
No broom

mIRC won't let me in

Postby Kaitlyn Nightingale » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:30 am

I was told that I would never need to purchase a registration on mIRC, although sometimes it acts like I do. My mIRC often tells me that my evaluation copy has expired and instead of a CONTINUE button, one that says EXIT appears. It just won't let me use the program.
Naturally, I googled the issue and found out that many people have had it before, but the solution that helped them - deleting mIRC folders in regedit - never helps me. Sometimes the problem solves itself if I just restart the program or my whole laptop, but this time neither of those are helping. I've also reinstalled the program before to fix this, but of course, that isn't something I would want to do on a regular basis...
Do other people on here have this problem as well? What can I do about it?
Lovely siggy by Tarma!
ka1645 | Hufflepuff | 2nd Year | Spiffy

Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Re: mIRC won't let me in

Postby Sirius Fudge » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:41 am

Kaitlyn, I also encountered this problem. I would just try again to open the mIRC. Sometimes, it would work where the "Exit" becomes "Continue" again and I get to log in to IRC again BUT most of the time, I would wait for one day to a few days (this happens more) before I can log in again. These days though, I would not exit the mIRC program but just disconnect from the channels. This way, I just click the Connect button and I am logged in again. However, this would require you to not shut down your laptop/computer. I still have not found a better solution but this works for me, for now. Hopefully, we get to find in this thread a better solution for this problem.

Kaitlyn Nightingale
No broom

Postby Kaitlyn Nightingale » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:04 am

Yes, Sirius, I've been doing that too. But once I need to restart my laptop, it usually happens again.
Now I managed to log in, it's either completely random or wait-a-while-and-try-again. So yes, my problem is solved for now. But it would still be nice if someone had a real solution. I'm glad I'm not the only one in this.
Lovely siggy by Tarma!
ka1645 | Hufflepuff | 2nd Year | Spiffy

Prof. Missa Matz
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Missa Matz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:43 am

If you're not willing to wait it out (after all, it's a program not owned by HOL) for the the continue button to appear, you can always use CGI that links from the main HOL site. However, this is only myself, but I did register my IRC. It was $10 and I can have it registered on up to five computers. I registered years and years ago though, so I don't if that has changed. You can also try different versions and applications. You may have to search different methods to get around it. I hope it works out for you!

Prof. Dario Brighton
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Dario Brighton » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Newer versions of mIRC will make you pay eventually. I advise finding an older copy of the software online (v6.x or less) and using that. They have all got the same features (except some address book tabs and perhaps the more fashionable iconography).

Return to “Ask a Prefect”