Connecting To Irc On A Mac?

Ask questions about HOL
Please check the FAQ first
Alia Shields
No broom

Post by Alia Shields » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi all,

I've been trying to connect to an IRC client on a Macbook Pro, and have been having issues. At first I tried X-Chat Aqua, which downloaded fine. I followed to tutorial in the handbook and it appears that the chat tries to sign in to the irc.blitzed.org server, but the session always times out and it won't connect. Next I tried Colloquy, which just gives me no response when I try to sign on to the server (in other words, the console is blank. It says the server name on the side and whether I'm connected or disconnect, but no text appears in the box even when I type in the /join command).

I'm hoping somebody here has a Mac and can help me with this issue? Or maybe the server is just down? The main page does not show an option for me to sign on the IRC client. Thank you to anyone who can help!!
Alia Shields - First Year - Ravenclaw - al1590
Prof. Missa Matz
Cleansweep Two

Post by Prof. Missa Matz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:09 pm

There are a number of IRC clients for the Mac that you can try out that work very much like mIRC, such as: Colloquy, LimeChat, Textual, Babbel, Ircle or Snak.

That was taken from mIRCs website. go to the handbook on HOL's main page. I know there is a link to in there under the irc section. Otherwise, google the above programs.
Alexander Greb
Oakshaft 79

Post by Alexander Greb » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:02 pm

I have a Mac and my Application of preference in X-Chat Azure. You can find it in the Mac App Store. The most recent update has a few bugs but I have a Beta download of the next version and it works great.

If you are still having problems connecting after reading these two posts please feel free to PM me or post again with more details (and possibly screenshots) and I can see if I can help you out!

Good luck
( Fluffy Bunny ) ( Property of Prof. Logan ) ( er849 )
( 4th Year ) ( All-Star ) ( SQT Fanboy )
Alia Shields
No broom

Post by Alia Shields » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks guys. I managed to connect on Snak and it seems to be working fine. If I have any other issues I'll make sure to let you know.
Alia Shields - First Year - Ravenclaw - al1590

Return to “Ask a Prefect”