Disney Discussion #2

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Oakshaft 79

Disney Discussion #2

Postby Prof. Gustavo Flores » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:10 am

Remember that this option is worth 10 POINTS!

Watch the video from the website and answer the following:

I don’t know you but I always die out of frustration whenever Merryweather is about to give her gift and is interrupted by Maleficent. Due to that, Merryweather had to change her original gift to counterattack Maleficent’s curse. Haven’t you been curious about that last gift? Now it is your chance to speculate! Please answer:

What do you think Merryweather’s original gift for Princess Aurora was supposed to be?

There is no right or wrong answer, just please explain your reasoning and thoughts. At least 100 words for full marks. Please post your answer in the correct thread in our Class Forum.

Hannah R Thomas
No broom

Re: Disney Discussion #2

Postby Hannah R Thomas » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:40 pm

When I think of Merryweather’s gift she is about to give to the baby Princess Aurora, I can think of a couple of ideas, but the more logical one is “the gift of kindness.” When I think of Aurora as she was, if she wasn’t taken in by the three fairies, Aurora could’ve turned out differently if she was raised by her parents in the castle. I know how some princesses can turn out depending on how they have been raised by their beliefs or how their childhood has been affected. Thinking of past kingdoms with previous rulers, they care for what they see in their views and show a strong, yet kind heart, to their lands and people. There is also the saying, reflecting on how “Rose” was raised in the forest, “Some of the poorest people, are the kindest.”
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore

Sirius Fudge
Moontrimmer

Postby Sirius Fudge » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:10 pm

When I read the question, and after knowing the gifts of the other two fairies, I first thought of the gift of kindness, same with Hannah's answer. The gift of kindness would complement the beauty outside, as would be manifested by the beauty inside. The gifts of the fairies as well are traditionally non-material, focusing on what they can give to the child, aside from material things, which they don't have. What perfect non-material thing could be other than kindness? To add more answers though, given that Hannah already answered gift of kindness, I would say an adventurous spirit or the gift of courage. It would also be a great addition to Aurora's qualities. The gift of adventure and/or courage would lead Aurora to many fun memories in her life that no material thing could match or surpass.

Arianna Stonewater
Silver Arrow

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Well, according to the Platinum Edition DVD commentary, she was supposed to be gifted Happiness. It's supposed to be a little play on words I believe because Merryweather's color is blue, so she gifts "happiness" so Aurora would never be "blue" (haha.) I'm actually a little glad she didn't gift her that, because I don't think its a thing by itself, as happiness comes from other things, and it just sounds silly.

Merryweather is the spunkiest of the fairies, so I don't think she would have gifted "happiness." I think her gift should have been something more practical, like "intelligence," "wisdom," or "patience." These are things which the other two fairies definitely wouldn't have thought of giving.

Return to “Disney Studies”