Week 9 - Bring Back our... Bladder-Guardians?

Moderators: Prof. Arielle Lemoyne, Matilde Rayne, Quidditch Board

Matilde Rayne
Moontrimmer

Week 9 - Bring Back our... Bladder-Guardians?

Postby Matilde Rayne » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:25 am

It's hard to believe that Stichstock died out in the 14th century. Obviously it's still occasionally played - we're playing it, after all - but the world as a whole seems to have moved on to games where being impaled is less likely. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the bladder-guardian is given some good armor, everything's fine!

Alas, I cannot bring back a game entirely on my own. So that's where you all come in!

Let's assume we all want to revive Stichstock and make it popular again. Clearly the way the game worked in the past didn't work, so how might you modernize it? Suggest at least one change!

Will Lestrange
Silver Arrow

Re: Week 9 - Bring Back our... Bladder-Guardians?

Postby Will Lestrange » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:43 am

Place a repulsion charm around the bladder-guardian that deflects all broomstick handles away!

Kathren Johnsun
No broom

Postby Kathren Johnsun » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:45 am

One change that I would make would be the bladder itself. I would instead use a water balloon so that your defender would get wet and we wouldn't have to kill an animal in order to play.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:03 am

I like Kathren's idea! Have something like the Snitch which replaced the snidget!

Another thing is that maybe whatever the bladder is of is enchanted so that any broomstick handle which comes into contact with it is colored pink or purple, so it is obvious which broom handles got to it first. It won't have to be punctured, if we can see who got to it first, so it is reusable.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Kim Alting
Cleansweep One

Postby Kim Alting » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:02 pm

I would add that for each time they miss the bladder (fail to puncture it), their broom will be jinxed. This will make it harder to puncture the bladder at all. So it's like a penalty!

Maxim Trevelyan
Silver Arrow

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:18 pm

If I learned anything from Quodpot is that people love explosions.

So, to couple it with Kim's idea, anytime the players would miss or when the guardian lost, there should be an explosion of sparks to further disorient the player(s).
Thank you Dario!

Joey Stark
No broom

Postby Joey Stark » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:51 pm

Since Stichstock fell out of favour but Quidditch is so popular, it might be more popular if some quidditch elements were added, without taking away the essence of what Stichstock is.

Instead of one bladder (or whatever appropriate, animal friendly, alternative :P), there could be a bunch of varying colours with a golden one in the centre. The rope could be shortened to make them slightly easier to reach. Different colours respond to different values and players would pop them, trying to score points and get to the bladder in the middle. Once this is popped, like catching the snitch, the game is ended with a large sum of points to the player who does so. The points are added up and like quidditch, it could be possible to not pop the gold bladder and still win if you popped enough outer bladders. I think this would be more fun as well as it's not all over the second a player actually gets near the one 'ball' in play!
Credit to Maxim! ^

Hermione Brontë
No broom

Postby Hermione Brontë » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:15 pm

I think I would put some kind of charm that allowed the bladder to move a bit (in circles, for example), and I would let the bladder-guardian be totally free to fly around it however he wanted.
Siggy by Fumei Elf <3

Ivelisse Ada
Oakshaft 79

Postby Ivelisse Ada » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:01 pm

I'm gonna go all-out here and suggest that we replace the guardian person with a guardian dragon.

Perhaps we could replace the bladder with treasure and make it a cunning race to who can steal the dragon's treasure first. But mostly I just vote for a dragon-guardian.
Thank you to Prof. Kyrie Adderholt!!

Return to “Quidditch Olympics”