Week 7 - What does that remind you of...?

Moderators: Prof. Arielle Lemoyne, Matilde Rayne, Quidditch Board

Matilde Rayne
Moontrimmer

Week 7 - What does that remind you of...?

Postby Matilde Rayne » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Shuntbumps survives to this day as a game for children. (Wizards apparently encourage their children to be jerks to each other.)

Remembering things that happened in your childhood (or just in the past) can be difficult, but photographs have a special way of reminding us of certain things or certain events, maybe even making us feel as if we're "back there" and part of things again.

This week, we'd like everyone to share a picture that reminds them of any of the broomstick games played during the Quidditch Olympics! The subject could be any of the games we've already played, or one that's planned for future weeks - so, namely, there's Broom Racing, Creaothceann, Aingingein, Swivenhodge, Cascade, Team Seeking, Shuntbumps, Quodpot, Stichstock, and (of course) Quidditch!

You can be as literal or as figurative as you'd like to be when choosing the subject of your photograph - but be sure to include a sentence or two explaining how your picture relates to one of our Olympic events!

For example, here's mine!

This is a picture I took in the atrium of the physical sciences building at my university. Technically there are 118 tetrahedrons, each modeled after and representing one of the elements of the periodic table, but the way they're all suspended overhead reminds me of the charmed boulders from Creaothceann!

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Re: Week 7 - What does that remind you of...?

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:09 pm

I immediately remembered a picture of a jigsaw puzzle done at the Sett. This is someone playing (well, practicing) Quidditch!

"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent.
Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Kim Alting
Cleansweep One

Postby Kim Alting » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:10 pm

These stones remind me of Creaothceann.

Hermione Brontë
No broom

Postby Hermione Brontë » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:18 pm

She's obviously in the middle of a Broom Racing, and people seem to be really enjoying it!

Siggy by Fumei Elf <3

Prof. Limine Snidget
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Limine Snidget » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:36 am

This store at Downtown Disney in Orlando always reminds me of Creaothceann because of the cauldron. If only there was candy involved in Creaothceann to make it even more fun! (:

Maxim Trevelyan
Silver Arrow

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:17 am

This really reminds me of Aingingein. Though I have no idea what those strange planks on person's feet are.
Last edited by Maxim Trevelyan on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Dario!

Joey Stark
No broom

Postby Joey Stark » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:02 pm

More a screenshot then a picture but this scene from friends always reminds me of Aingingein. FIREBALL (technically, ultimate fireball)

Both seem to have just unnecessarily added fire as an extra 'fun' and dangerous element.
Credit to Maxim! ^

Prof. Cody Lewis
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Cody Lewis » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Here's an image from my favorite movie, A Knight's Tale, showing William Thatcher tilting with no armor against Count Adhemar. Pretty mad for a muggle, but this is the way I imagine shuntbumps being played: no armor and nothing but fifty feet of air between your broom and the ground!

Return to “Quidditch Olympics”