Introductions

Class led by Prof. Hailey Potter

Moderator: Prof. Hailey Potter

Prof. Hailey Potter
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Hailey Potter » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:30 am

Welcome to Divination!

Here, you can introduce yourself to your classmates.

I'll begin. After 10 years as a student on HOL, I have finally graduated. This is my first year as professor and I am enjoying not having to take classes so far. (Even though there are some great ones that make me wish I had time to!) I am a Gryffindor, and am Spice Squad Captain.

In real life, I am 24 and a first year kindergarten teacher. I'm a month in with 20 five and six year olds (and 12 boys and 8 girls). I like to read and write as a hobby, and occasionally create some art. Creative stuff.
Last edited by Prof. Hailey Potter on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gryffindor Professor|HOL 101, An Introduction to Divination, and Advanced Divination
Spice Squad Captain|Paw Print EiC|Lions' Pride

Seraphina Severus
No broom

Postby Seraphina Severus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:02 pm

Hey everyone! My name is Seraphina, you can call me Sera if you'd like, and I'm a third year Gryffindor. In real life I am 23 years old and I live in Michigan. I enjoy hanging out with friends, movies/TV, history, space, paranormal, going to concerts and reading. Besides taking this class I am also taking: Care of Magical Creatures, Dragons, Son of Poseidon and Word Magic.
Made by Fumei

Valery Blue

Postby Valery Blue » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Hello I'm Valery or Val, I'm a first year Hufflepuff. In real life I'm 12 years old and I live in The Netherlands. I love reading and a bit of writing (even though I'm not very good) I also like acting a lot.
I'm taking: A visit to Diagon Alley, Astronomy, Care of Magical Creatures and I'm waiting on an anwser for Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them.
I'm taking Divination because there very different and interesting methods of seeing the future, and I was always fascinated with the future and I'd love to learn about it!

Elena Galatas
Oakshaft 79

Postby Elena Galatas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:57 am

Hi, everyone! I'm a little late in making this post, but now that I have the chance to catch up on the homework I'm missing I'm going through to do what I can. ^-^

My name's Michelle, but everyone around here calls me Elena (mainly because that's the name/roleplay character that I created when I first started on HOL). I'm excited to be taking Divination! It's one of those classes I've been waiting to actually have the chance to take. I actually adore Divination, I just haven't had a chance to really look into it too much. I thought Sybill Trelawney was one of the most interesting and entertaining characters that were in the novels.

I'm a full time college student, in my Senior year, double majoring in English and History with a double minor in Classics and Theatre. I'm 26 years old (I started college late, ha), and live in Northern Tennessee - just north of Nashville, actually.

This semester I'm taking Intro to Divination (obviously, lol), Dr. Who? Dr. You! (because HELLO DOCTOR WHO YAY), Harry Potter: Family Studies, Ancient Civilizations (because I'm a Classics major, and it's awesome-sauce), and Son of Poseidon (because I freaking adore Percy Jackson).
Elena Galatas || Sixth Year || Ravenclaw || Dr. Who Enthusiast || Oncer
"I'd go to the end of the world for her. Or time."

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Comet 180

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:41 pm

*waves*

Hi there! I'm Scarlet Leslie, Ravenclaw. I teach a few classes, am a HOLLERS admin, and enjoy catching snitches. In RL, I am 26 and a licensed pharmacist in New Jersey. Even though I've been at HOL for a long time, I don't think I've ever taken a Divination class, so that's why I'm in this class! The other classes I am taking this term are Earth Magic, Gütiokipänja - Studio Ghibli, Norse Mythology, and Surviving Fantasyland.

See you around!

Ciara Black
No broom

Postby Ciara Black » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:21 am

Hey everyone :)

I'm Cia, a second year Gryffindor, and I teach a class on world building. In real life I'm 26 and coordinate a before and after school care program for a few hundred kids aged five through twelve. I love reading, writing, and anything artsy or creative that can release a little of my crazy in a non-destructive manner. This term I'm taking Fae Folk: The People, Harry Potter: Family Studies, Transfiguration, When Muggles and Magic Collide, and, of course, Divination. I'm taking Divination partly because I think it's an interesting subject in general, partly because the assignments looked fun, and partly because it's taught by the ever awesome Hal.

Meredith Malkins
No broom

Postby Meredith Malkins » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi, I'm Meredith Malkins. I'm 15, a second year, and I belong to Hufflepuff house. I live in New Zealand. I love the Harry Potter series, but not the movies. I like reading, listening to music, and the Hufflepuff emoticons. I am a biology, genetics and cryptozoology fan. I'm for classes I'm taking Fae Folk: The People and Advanced Care of Magical Creatures as well as Divination. I took all of these because I enjoy mythology. Divination has always fascinated me.

Polaris Black
Silver Arrow

Postby Polaris Black » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Polaris Black and I’m a Ravenclaw second year, reserve prefect, and HOLLERS assistant. I love learning online and having information at my fingertips. In addition to Introduction to Divination, this term I am taking Harry Potter: Family Studies, Magic in Famous Mysteries, Surviving Fantasyland, and Transfiguration. I became interested in divination while researching Ovomancy for an Alte Sententiam Drabble Babble.
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

Guest_Dani Cooper_*

Postby Guest_Dani Cooper_* » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Hello! My name is Dani Cooper and I'm a second year Slytherin. I was introduced to the world of HOL via my friend Ashley Margaret. In my free time, I enjoy reading, listening to music, cooking/baking, and taking HOL classes. This term I am taking Magic in Famous Mysteries, Norse Mythology, Palmistry, Transfiguration, and An Introduction to Divination. I chose to take Divination in particular because my exposure of via Harry Potter made it seem like a very interesting subject. Also, I believe I have next to no prior knowledge of the subject and could therefore learn a lot.

Ailime Wright
No broom

Postby Ailime Wright » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:59 pm

Oh gosh, I've never introduced myself here! How rude! :o

Hey guys! My name Ailime Wright and I'm a Second Year Gryffindor. Go, go Gryffindor! :D . I'm also a Junior Prefect and a HOLLERS Assistant. Besides this, I'm also taking Transfiguration, DADA, Adv. CoMC and Astronomy. I totally wanted to takes this class because Hal is teaching it, but also because I've always been interested in this kind of studies, especially astronomy. I always find myself drawing my sign charts and see what planets and starts have an influence on me. But I'm also interested in other types of Divination. I'm a Sagittarius what can I ask for?! :lol:

In real life, I'm studying Marketing with Events Management, and I currently working on my dissertation, hence my on and off time of HOL, plus that I work full-time. I love puzzles, zodiacs, languages, Photoshop, tv shows, food (even though I'm dieting now... :lol: ). Oh yeah, and I turned 22 not too long ago! :P

Artemisia Delacroix
No broom

Postby Artemisia Delacroix » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:29 am

Hello, my name is Artemisia Delacroix. I am a Slytherin first year. In addition to this class, I am taking Basic Healing, Harry Potter: Family Studies, Tales of Beedle the Bard, and Herbology. I am taking this class because I want to learn about other Divination methods -- I currently read Tarot. I'm most excited to try Palmistry!

In real life, I work for a corporate office and play real life Quidditch (used to work for the international association as well). I'm 25, have a cat named Percy Jackson, and I love collecting memorabilia and bookmarks.
Last edited by Artemisia Delacroix on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------
GERONIMO!
Beans, Jake. Beans.
Click HERE for my HOL Profile!

Ariella McManus
Silver Arrow

Postby Ariella McManus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Hello, everyone! My name is Ariella, though feel free to call me Ari if you like. I'm a 4th year Ravenclaw Prefect, and I currently teach 2 classes here on HOL (Dr Who, Dr You! and Vampires-An Undead Odyssey). In addition to this class, I'm also taking Broom Making, Basic Healing, Marvelous Musical Theatre-Act 2, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard. As to why I chose Divination; well, to be honest, as to date I had never done a "Harry Potter" type class and figured it was about time. When I saw Hal was teaching a class on a subject that already fascinated me, it was a no brainer.

In real life, I'm older than dirt, an avid (okay obsessed) Doctor Who fan who enjoys cooking, Guild Wars, Sims, and reading in my spare time. I'm married with one lovely daughter, and am a retired fire dispatcher. Nice to meet you all :)
Ravenclaw Prefect/Head Student/Student Teacher/ar1107
“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”

Lavinia Rookwood
No broom

Postby Lavinia Rookwood » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Hey all, I'm Lavinia Rookwood, or Nina for short. I tend to be sort of a silent student at times on here so it's bit of surprise I made it to fourth year. I also assist Ariella McManus with her classes, but I'm considering teaching one next year.

Currently I'm also taking Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them, Marvelous Musical Theatre II, Broom Making, Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them, and Magic in Famous Mysteries. This year is actually the first year I'm taking really Hogwarts related classes (Broom Making and Divination), which is funny considering it's a Hogwarts related website. Well, I always did wander to the beat of my own drum. (Wander, not dance. No one wants to see me dance.)

In real life, I love to cook and play Sims and Guild Wars, and after somehow failing to do so the last few years, am getting back into reading on a regular basis. (A Ravenclaw not reading!? The tragedy!) :P
Last edited by Lavinia Rookwood on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niamh Cassidy
No broom

Postby Niamh Cassidy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi, I'm Niamh, a sixth year Ravenclaw. Offline I work for a book distributor and I majored in English literature in college, so naturally I love to read! :lol: I also like movies, writing, and role-playing.

This semester I'm also taking Arithmancy, Marvelous Musical Theatre, The Hobbit, and Werewolves 101. I'm interested in all sorts of divination techniques, though I have to admit that the one I'm most interested in is cartomancy, since I also collect unusual decks of cards. And yes, I do have several decks of Tarot cards, and have dabbled in reading them, though I'm no expert. I'm glad to meet everyone, and I'm looking forward to learning more, about all kinds of divination. :)
"Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough." ~ George Bernard Shaw

Saeir Darr
No broom

Postby Saeir Darr » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:31 am

Hello everyone! I've been on hiatus from HOL entirely for 1.5 years. I was a professor for 4.5 years, but decided to return to using my student account for now until I feel like I have more free time to teach again.
I'm excited to be attempting my OWLs for the first time.
The classes I'm taking this year are: Chinese Festivals, Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them, Gütiokipänja - Studio Ghibli, HOL OWLs, and Surviving Fantasyland.

As you can see I am a fantasy nerd and love to learn about other worlds. Divination fascinates me too. Perhaps the "Inner Eye" could allow one to see into another world, dimension, or space-time continuum. XD
I have some "real" runestones and tarot cards a friend bought for me as a gift from a pagan shop a long time ago. I also have some cardcaptor sakura clow cards I bought as a kid. (and actually worth a pretty penny on ebay right now because they're so old, but I will never sell. They're a piece of my childhood just like my pokemon cards.)

In RL, I'm 24, graduated from college 2 years ago, and currently employed as a software engineer.

Astrid Black
No broom

Postby Astrid Black » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:02 am

Hello all! I'm Astrid Black, though most call me As. I am a fourth year Ravenclaw who has a very eclectic taste in everything. Be it language, cultures, tv shows/movies, books, clothes, foods, etc. I have a great degree of love for a wide spectrum of things. For example my favorite food is sushi; my second favorite food is tortellini antipasto.

Anyway, I'm currently taking Divination, Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them, Norse Mythology, Palmistry, and Son of Poseidon. I'm taking Divination because I happen to love it. Palmistry is on my list as well so it may have been redundant but I don't mind. I'm a big fan of a lot types of Divination. My favorite is probably Astrology since I've been doing it since I was a child but I'm working hard on Palmistry so we'll see how that goes.

This is a subject that I find I'm innately drawn to without a real reason as to why. No one else in my family really cares about it or is really for it unless to say 'Oh that's such a Taurus thing to do' or something like that. Anyway, Divination was a class I didn't even think about signing up for. I saw it was there and it was an instant 'yes' to take the class.

Guinevere Avalon
No broom

Re: Introductions

Postby Guinevere Avalon » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:28 pm

*pokes head in*

Hey all!

I am Guinevere Avalon, Hailey's *coughminioncough* class assistant for Introduction to Divination. At HOL I am a Gryffindor 4th year and the house prefect! I am also a part of Spice Squad, Gryffindor's Cheerleading Squad and Gryffindor's Flying Lions AKA GQT. Otherwise, I just help around where it is needed.

In RL, I am old-ish, in my early 20s and a student in the medical field. I love everything history, fantasy, sci-fi. And I hate introductions >__> :P

Prof. Zoki Phantom
Shooting Star

Postby Prof. Zoki Phantom » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:59 pm

Late as always. :D

Hello all! I'm Prof. Zoki Phantom from Hufflepuff. After enduring the 7 long student years and one term as a Post Graduate, I finally moved on to become a Professor. You may see me in the Herbology classroom as I'm teaching that course this term. Even though I'm a Professor now, I do still enjoy all things student-related, that's why I'm taking 5 classes again this term (or at least attempting to take them, there's a good chance I may fail some of them :P). Those classes are Dr Who? Dr You!, Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them, Gutiokipanja - Studio Ghibli, The Hobbit, From Tolkien to Jackson, and of course this one.

I've taken and passed Divination before, but it was a different class by a different teacher, so I thought it would be fun to take this class as well. I enjoy the subject, I I think it's a an entertaining topic and there are so many ways to do Divination that I believe there's no such thing as too much Divination. There's always something new to learn. That's why I'm here.

In real life I'm in my 20s, finishing up my undergrad in computer science and engineering, but I enjoy all things word-related (reading, writing, experimenting), I love food, tv shows, video games, movies, etc. I enjoy spending my time on non-productive things. :D

Kim Alting
Cleansweep One

Postby Kim Alting » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:38 pm

My name is Kim, a second year Gryffindor student.
With my 22 years, I have two more years of college to go. Currently doing my master research in the hospital...

I am taking Divination because it has always interested me and I am hoping to learn some of the techniques.
Divination is rather controversy, but I would like to see for myself what it does for me and how it works.
I am also taking Death Eaters 101, Potions, Herbology and Confronting Your Boggart.

Star Andromeda Black
No broom

Postby Star Andromeda Black » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:04 am

Hello My name is Star Andromeda Black, you can call me Star... I am a Hufflepuff. This is my 6th year at HOL... My 3rd try as a 4th year (real life tried to kick my starry butt).

In real life I am a Tarot Reader and I own 5 different decks, but my favorite is my Dragon Deck. They have never lied to me, but can be a little snarky at times... but then they are dragons. I am trying to learn how to read palms, but it's hard to remember the lines. I love to play with fire and I totally relax when I am near water. Water balances me.

I am enjoying all my classes this term. I am taking a full course with The Tales Of Beedle The Bard, Confronting Your Boggart, Poisons and Theory Of Charms as my other 4 classes. I am looking forward to taking my OWLs next year. YES I WILL GET MY 2 QUILLS THIS YEAR I PROMISE!!! I look forward to opening my inner eye with all of you this term.

You can always find me in the green houses growing things or in the owlery... I am always feeding beans to the owls.

Siggy by ME!!!

"We're given a code to live our lives by. We don't always follow it, but it's still there." `Gary Oldman, Actor ~Sirius Black

|| Star Andromeda Black || st941 || 3rd Year || Hufflepuff ||

Return to “Introduction to Divination”