Lesson One - Introduce Yourself

Class led by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Moderator: Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Lesson One - Introduce Yourself

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:36 am

As it says here --
Post in the introduction class forum, introducing yourself with your HOL name, any HOL nicks, what house you are in, and what year you joined. Post to say whether you have seen The Hobbit movie(s), read the book, or both.
*Avatar-Terrier (Beka Cooper)*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Katya Snow
No broom

Re: Lesson One - Introduce Yourself

Postby Katya Snow » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi There!

I'm Katya Snow a first year Huffelpuff! i can't wait to learn!

i've read the Hobbit-There and Back again and the three Lord of the Rings books and i've seen all three of the Hobbit movies and all three of the Lord of the Ring movies! though, it's been a while since i read the books and i never can read through the Council of Elrond. i always skip that chapter. i know, i'm sorry, very naughty of me.

I have a Coffee addiction and an obsession with Foxes and a deep desire to learn everything i can about the Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and maybe if i'm lucky,i might learn about a few dragons too!

edit: Introduction points submitted -- and I get you in two of my classes? \o/ - Tarma
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: intro points submitted - Tarma

Ainsley Royce
No broom

Postby Ainsley Royce » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:08 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Ainsley Royce and I am a first year Ravenclaw. I joined HOL in 2016, while looking for a Hogwarts site that was more than just classes or role playing. Nerd at heart, I read The Hobbit with my mother while growing up, then the Lord of the Rings on my own. I own all the movies in HDX as well as extended edition copies where they were available. I adore Middle Earth and all the stories that have come from that mystical realm. I thought Peter Jackson did a wonderful job with the movies as they are beautiful and so mesmerizing. And the books themselves are on a whole other level in classic literature. When I saw this class was being offered I was really excited and had to sign up!!

A few fun facts about me: I am a graphic and web designer living in Florida but originally from Germany, but grew up in Philadelphia, PA (moved to the U.S. when I was 4 years old). I am a nerd to the core and love LOTR, Harry Potter, the WWE and a horror movie fanatic. I love classic literature and dystopian and horror teen books. Well, I am really excited to delve deeper into this story and cannot wait to see where this class takes me!!

edit: Introduction points submitted -- welcome to The Hobbit, Ainsley! I hope you enjoy it.
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arianna Stonewater
Silver Arrow

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:30 pm

HOL name, any HOL nicks, what house you are in, and what year you joined. Post to say whether you have seen The Hobbit movie(s), read the book, or both.

Hello! I'm Arianna Stonewater, some people call me Ari. I'm a second-year Slytherin Prefect, and I joined HOL in September 2015.

I've seen all of the Hobbit movies and read the book! I'm really excited to take this class; anything that expands upon a fandom I love is great!!!

A few fun facts about me: I am a graphic and web designer living in Florida but originally from Germany, but grew up in Philadelphia, PA (moved to the U.S. when I was 4 years old). I am a nerd to the core and love LOTR, Harry Potter, the WWE and a horror movie fanatic. I love classic literature and dystopian and horror teen books. Well, I am really excited to delve deeper into this story and cannot wait to see where this class takes me!!

We have so much in common! I'm currently in Washington DC, originally from Colorado, but grew up in Lancaster PA :D LOTR, HP, WWE and Horror movies are also my favorite things too!!!

edit: Introduction points submitted - " I know your face..." - Welcome to The Hobbit, Arianna - Tarma
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ravariel Aiwince
Oakshaft 79

Postby Ravariel Aiwince » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Heyho everyone!

I am Ravariel Aiwince, a Second Year Hufflepuff. I am a rather ancient badger, as I joined HOL in 2006, but have only recently started becoming active enough to actually advance a year. Before that, I was more of a lurker :ph34r:

I have long been a Tolkien geek and have read the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion and a few odd tidbits here and there. I have watched the Lord of the Rings films and the Hobbit films, the former with great delight, the latter less so, as I felt that the Hobbit films initially showed great promise but then fell sadly short. I hope you don't mind that stance; I chose your class despite my reserved view on the Hobbit films because it looks very interesting and because it works in the Tolkien fandom, which I love.

I'll be nice, promise :unsure:

To add a random thing about me: I have, among other things, studied language history (mainly of Germanic languages) and delight in linguistics. Tolkien's elven languages are one of my favourite things about the world he has created.

edit: intro points submitted -- welcome to the class Ravariel! I'm glad you're here - Tarma
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Postby Sky Alton » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi! I’m Sky Alton, a 4th year and a proud and very loud lion -I joined in 2013. (I’m also The Hol Book club’s Newest House Elf)

My mum read the Hobbit to me when I was 7 and it cemented my deep love of literature and fantasy in particular. We moved straight onto LOTR after that and I’ve never looked back. I’ve seen all 3 LOTR films and the first 2 hobbit ones (I believe Netflix now has the third with Audio Description so I’ll be getting onto that ASAP!). My favourite Tolkien based media is actually the radio adaptation of The Lord of the Rings by the BBC from the 1980s (it has a truly amazing cast and gorgeous, gorgeous music) - unfortunately, the version they did of the Hobbit is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum!

I’m a writer and am nearly at the end of my Literature and Creative Writing Degree-while I can’t live up to the ambition of Tolkien, I like to think he opened the way to my own creativity by showing me what you could do with words alone. (I’m also a fencer and he could probably be blamed for that as well, along with Tamora Pierce)

edit: intro points submitted -- hello proud and loud lion and Book Club mavin! glad you are in the class - Tarma
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Marcie Hobber
No broom

Postby Marcie Hobber » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Marcie Hobber, and I'm a post graduate Hufflepuff student. You can find me on mIRC using 'Marcie', 'Nile', or some variation of those. I joined HOL quite a while ago, in 2005.

I have seen all three of the Hobbit movies, but unfortunately, not yet read the book. I'm planning on, though, and I'm hoping to be able to read it during this term. I think taking this class at the same time could enhance my reader experience. I actually read 'Lord of the Rings' books years ago, so why I didn't read 'the Hobbit', I can't really answer. I have always enjoyed Fantasy, and since I enjoyed the moves, I am sure that I will love reading the book.

Looking forward to the class! :)

edit: Points submitted to HQT's Captain - :) - Tarma
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avatar made by Jasmin at the Sig 'n' Av Palace
Signature made by Sirius Fudge
"Let's all just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best."

Return to “The Hobbit, From Tolkien to Jackson”