Opinion Question #3

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Gustavo Flores » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:58 am

Remember that this option can give you up to 10 points of Assignment or Extra Credit. From the Class Website, please answer the following:

Neverland is considered the place of eternal childhood. If you enter and decide to stay then you won’t grow up and everything will be fun and games, and you can forget about any kind of responsibilities! Sounds tempting right? Now, taking into account what we just discussed, please answer:

If you had the opportunity to travel to Neverland, would you decide to stay and refuse to grow up? Or would you be like Wendy and visit the land for a little while but then come back home?

There is no right or wrong answer, just please explain your reasoning and theory. At least 100 words for full marks.

Gail Allen
Oakshaft 79

Re: Opinion Question #3

Postby Gail Allen » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:52 am

I think I would choose like Wendy and eventually return home. Abdication of responsibility is lovely and truly tempting at times, but I also think there is an argument to be made for actually growing up at some point. I'd probably draw out childhood longer than it is in the real world, but I would eventually wish to become an adult. Because with it also comes a much deeper understanding of things and a joy in that, that I wouldn't want to miss. So while it would be nice being able to lay down responsibility at times, I also enjoy my adult life too much to want to give up on it.
Thank you Cassie for the signature!

Siobhan Sullivan
No broom

Postby Siobhan Sullivan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:35 pm

If I had the opportunity to travel to Neverland, I don’t think I would stay. As Gail mentioned, it’s nice to think about leaving all your responsibilities behind and not having any worries, but in the end, I would choose to come back to Mainland. Neverland is full of fun and interesting places and there is the somewhat thrilling possibility of “danger” from either the pirates or some jealous fairy or mermaid, but I also believe that there are some fun and interesting places here on Mainland as well. Growing into an adult is a natural process, and I would choose to enjoy it and take the experiences of my life with me, bills, worries, and all. I especially enjoy traveling and want to see as much as I possibly can for as long as I can. So, though there are places to see in Neverland, there are also places to see here and I’d rather have the chance at both.
To know you are ignorant is the beginning of wisdom.

Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Postby Kendra Givens » Fri May 25, 2018 2:53 am

I feel like I would love to have Neverland as an escape, but would not like to stay there. Given the high stress of adult life, I think the escapism would be lovely after a bad day. "'Hey, I'm going to take a weekend in Neverland to hang out with the mermaids and pirates" sounds like an AMAZING vacation, but then there can be drama there too that would get old after being there for a long time. Even though childhood is seen as "carefree", I do enjoy adulthood for the wisdom, growth, and freedom I have now. I enjoy having things I know I'm responsible for and have a role in developing, and I think I'd be bored of spinning my wheels in Neverland after enough time there.

Return to “Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them”