Martial Arts

Discuss Football, Tennis, Bowling, Rugby, Cricket...

Moderator: Maxwell Shadow

Christine McTague
No broom

Postby Christine McTague » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:24 am

Recently I signed up to be in a Karate class. I'd been in martial arts off and on since I was young, but I kept quitting. Now that I'm older, and less inclined to be flighty, I think I'm going to stick with it. I've been in Tae Kwon Do, and general Karate, and the dojo I'm in now is American Karate. I hope some day to branch off in a traditional style, like Capoeira, and do some weapon work too. The bo staff particularly interests me, as well as the katana.
Does anyone else here take martial arts? What belt (if your tradition has them) are you? How long have you been taking it?
Christine McTague, First Year, Slytherin.
Wand: Rosewood and ebony handle, 12", Gryphon feather.
Familiar: Keethan the eagle owl.
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.

Narcia Bellamy
No broom

Postby Narcia Bellamy » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:43 pm

I'm almost ready to grade for my orange belt in Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu karate. smile.gif I'm very excited! My husband, who started in Janurary, will be grading for his yellow belt at the same time. I've been practicing for two years now. Some people are surprised that I've been doing it for this long and am "only" a yellow belt. I say I'd rather know that I really earned it and truly am a yellow belt rather than be given a belt just to keep me interested in the class. It's weird when people can become blackbelts in five years ... Not that it can't happen, but that's pretty exceptional!

Leora Sapphire
No broom

Postby Leora Sapphire » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:51 pm

Dude, I hated karate. I really did. I attended Tang Soo Karate Academy for three or four years and I quit right after receiving my Fourth Gup Green Belt. My brother continued and he just recieved him Second Degree Black Belt. I jsut didn't like Karate, plus it took away from my flute...
Wand: 10 1/4in. Made - Spruce Tree - Dragon Core
Gryffindor -|- First Year

Beaudonnée Boniface
No broom

Postby Beaudonnée Boniface » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:54 pm

I have been taking Tae Kwon Do for 4 years at Young Chung Tae Kwon Do. I have received my blue belt and hopefully in December I will be able to earn my red belt. I like Tae Kwon Do. I have a lot of fun and it is great exercise for someone who is as lazy as me.
Beaudonnée Boniface| be631 | 1st year | Ravenclaw

"We were dreamers not so long ago, but one by one we all had to grow up."
Believe by JG

Lillian Diem
No broom

Postby Lillian Diem » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:47 am

I've taken a martial art called Aikido for 14 years. I'm a Sandan (3rd degree black belt).

I love Aikido. I've made lots of friends in it during the years. I also think it's not a bad idea to know how to protect oneself. I've never had to use it-and I hope I never do.
"Sig & Av made @ The Sig N' Av Palace by Hena"

Draius McSannon
No broom

Postby Draius McSannon » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:53 pm

I'm taking Judo. It's really fun because I've made a lot of friends. I've taken it for 4 years and I'm an orange belt.

Ryuichi Hyori
No broom
Location: We strive to be the best, but just end up being a part of a nest of people of equal intelligence. We

Postby Ryuichi Hyori » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:56 pm

<-- Black belt in Taekwondoe.

Martial Arts are so awesome. And don't be discouraged by me saying that it's good to go in while you're young. It's never too late, really.

It's nice that you have a chance to get in shape while having loads of fun and improving everything about yourself. smile.gif
Last edited by Ryuichi Hyori on Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[-Potiontology-][-Class Assistant-]

When you want everything you'll end up with nothing...

Azure Moondust
No broom

Postby Azure Moondust » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:10 am

i was planning to take up taekwondo lessons or karate but i don't have the time... i now study a bit of martial arts and arnis handling when i have spare time.. ph34r.gif

Thanks to Ilona Littrel from the ID Card Shop for this nice signature..

Risalyn Doyle
No broom

Postby Risalyn Doyle » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:33 pm

I've been taking tae kwon do for about...almost 6 years now... wow... I didn't realize it's been that long since I've started. Anywho... I'm currently a first degree black belt. [Barely though. I'm so close to my second degree, it makes me mad. >.<]

WEAPONS ARE AWESOME! They're one of the reasons why I still take tkd. Otherwise, I don't think I would have made it this far. ^^;; Well, have fun with your class! n_n
Image<---teehee.
'cause kitties are cool, yo. n_n

Andrew Mooney

Postby Andrew Mooney » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:15 pm

i used to do karate but it was stopped and that was about 6 years ago!i was only a white belt though.

Meiryn Lansing
No broom

Postby Meiryn Lansing » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:28 pm

I've been taking Tae Kwon Do for a little over a year and a half. Right now, I -should- be a recommendation black belt, but I've had to miss two testings. x.X Therefore, I'm only a 1st gup high-red belt. Hopefully, I can earn my black belt late this year or early next year, eh?

I love martial arts. \m/(^_^)\m/
"If we shadows have offended
Think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here
While these visions did appear..."
~William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Prof. Hailey Potter
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Hailey Potter » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:26 am

I wish I was. That's something I'd love to do. To get in shape and to know how to defend myself. I think that's awesome and it builds character, so more bonus-y goodness!!!
Gryffindor Professor|HOL 101, An Introduction to Divination, and Advanced Divination
Spice Squad Captain|Paw Print EiC|Lions' Pride

Lera Kamerat
No broom

Postby Lera Kamerat » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:46 am

I’m crazy about martial arts.
I do and done almost all kinds of martial arts.
My #1 favorite is Karate. And Wu –shu.
Some people say that I’m too violent because I was in to Fighting and firearms ever Sense I was 3 years old.
Last edited by Lera Kamerat on Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lera
One for all and all for one!

Hermione Smith
No broom

Postby Hermione Smith » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:32 pm

i do Tae Kwon Do. i started when i was 12 and have been doing it for four year. i love it. it is great to learn some self defense and see you self improving.
Harry potter rocks!

Lera Kamerat
No broom

Postby Lera Kamerat » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:39 am

Oh yeh I for got I'm black belt in most of them.
Except for Wu –shu. and I'm a master black belt in Karate.
Last edited by Lera Kamerat on Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lera
One for all and all for one!

Ilona Littrell
Oakshaft 79

Postby Ilona Littrell » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:25 pm

LoL

I was obsessed with TaeKwon Do some years back.

I trained for two and a half years and got to a blue belt.
But then I moved when i started high school and didn't have time for it anymore.
Last edited by Ilona Littrell on Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-»----(¯`v´¯)----»
[color= gray]^Sig & Av made by me.
Feel free to PM me if you want one, or come to the Gryfftastic Graphics Club in the Gryff CR! ;)[/color]
|[color=Blue]Sixth Year|Lady Marauder|Gryfftastic Graphics Club|Captain of the Black PINK Pearl|[/color]

Carneira Shain
No broom

Postby Carneira Shain » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:11 am

I'm still in tae kwon do now =D Am going to test for the green belt this march~ Like martial arts alot ^^ Afterall, it's the only place you can beat the hell out ppl legally XD; *runs away*
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional

Kiriuta Yuzuki
No broom

Postby Kiriuta Yuzuki » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:00 pm

I did Wu-Shu back then, but I can't mastered it *no belts here* and thus I quit....

Now I think I choose a wrong choice...... Maybe I should try it...

I'd like to learn Karate or Tae-kwon....

But I can kick / punch someone if I'm endangered. Well, human's basic instinct.

Marc Falconer
No broom

Postby Marc Falconer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:33 am

I'm a black belt in the martial art of Tae Kwon Do, and let me tell you, I really like it. Of couse if I didn't I wouldn't be in it. It really does help you, I've avoided starting alot of fights, one because of my self control, and two it's beacuse i'm a black belt.
Of course then people tell me that i couln't do stuff to them if I wanted to, then they see me in demenstrations, and they don't want near me, and the first demenstration i had to perfrom was like three years ago when i was in fifth grade, and even the older kids didn't want to mess with me. Same goes for today, so I mean yeah, i don't mean to brag about anything, but it probalby helps with my attitude torwards other people, and so yes go for it it is worth in the end.

Language. ~Rai
Last edited by Marc Falconer on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seira Wizarda
No broom

Postby Seira Wizarda » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:50 am

Wow..you guys do Tae Kwon Do...? I wish I can do that so I can punch someone (my sisters for example)... ph34r.gif

Return to “Sports Talk”