Martial Arts

Discuss Football, Tennis, Bowling, Rugby, Cricket...

Moderator: Maxwell Shadow

Hermione Smith
No broom

Postby Hermione Smith » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:09 pm

Ilona Littrell wrote:LoL

I was obsessed with TaeKwo Do some years back.

I trained really hard for 2 and a half years and got a blue belt.
But then I moved when i started high school and didn't have time for it anymore.

i got stuck around blue belt too. i broke my arm and just seemed to take for ever to get past that belt. but finally i did. thats to bad that you quit sad.gif
Harry potter rocks!

Lindsey Hyde-Phoenix
No broom

Postby Lindsey Hyde-Phoenix » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:35 am

I haven't started anything yet, but I'm currently looking into Tae Kwon Do classes at Burns' Tae Kwon Do. I've wanted to take martial arts forever, since I was little, and my best friend goes to Burns', so I'm going to try it too. ^.^
Gryfftoberfest '09 - are you ready!?

Lucia Granger
No broom

Postby Lucia Granger » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:48 pm

I did Judo for a short while.
Life is music, play it louder

don't close your eyes, this is your life

Hari and Fiona Granger's little sis, Lucia.

Lenore Spiaggi
No broom

Postby Lenore Spiaggi » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:23 pm

I know a few things about tai chi, and I love it exactly because its style is completely non-competitive. I would also like to find a studio offering aikido somewhere near, but that's a slim chance.
"They say you are a witch." "They lie; I am a cunning woman."

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Rachel Selenia » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:42 pm

I'm doing Jissen Kobudo Jinenkan. In December there will be a grading opportunity, and I really want to be good enough by then to get my first belt! biggrin.gif Which means that I will practice very hard until then. ^.^
Rachel Selenia || pr_rch || Hufflepuff || Professor of Norse Myths and Legends
Head of HOL Tolkien Society || Wizarding Times Staff Member || HOL Book Club

Willow Granger
No broom

Postby Willow Granger » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:08 pm

I am a green belt in Pa-Kua. Here is my belt system highest to lowest. It's a bit...unusual.

Black
Red
Blue
Grey
Green
Orange
Yellow
White

As you can see i'm a bit in the middle. I'd like to take sword, staff, ancient weapons class, sintonia (chinese yoga), reflexology, and acupuncture. Those are all provided at the place I take martial arts.

Willow
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter" ---Dr. Seuss

Malacai Micheals
No broom

Postby Malacai Micheals » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:48 pm

As stated in another sports thread i hold a black belt in Xiaolin ((pronounced Shaolin) Kempo Karate. I have been active in martial arts for most of my life. I tried to get into tae kwon do but it just wasnt for me. have lately been thinking of taking Akido lessons
Malacai Micheals
First Year Gryffindor

Willow Granger
No broom

Postby Willow Granger » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:07 pm

My personal goal where martial arts is concerned is to get a black belt in 8 types of martial arts. That would really rock my socks. I don't really see any change in myself after taking Pa-Kua but it is a lot of fun and the particular combo of stuff i'm doing at the moment might help me get a little more stamina. Well, maybe I have changed a little bit. I'd jump about a mile into the air if I got a chance to do a traditional style. There is an Aikido Shin Do Kan studio near where I live, and I think after I get a black belt in Pa-Kua i'll start going there if my mom will let me. Is Aikido a traditional style? Could somebody tell me about it please? The Shinai and Bo staff are my favorite weapons.

Willow
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter" ---Dr. Seuss

Zend Avesta

Postby Zend Avesta » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:00 pm

I Love Tae Kwon Do...

Thaliasta McGreave
No broom

Postby Thaliasta McGreave » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:54 am

It's amazing that someone else on here has taken Aikido!! I took a semester through my college at the dojo downtown...

All I have to say, is I haven't hurt myself falling since! And that was a couple years ago. I really want to go back... now if I could just find the time and money...

Marie Thenes
No broom

Postby Marie Thenes » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:53 pm

One of my colleagues used to live in Japan and while he was there he studied Aikido. Just hearing the philosophy behind the martial arts is amazing. He plans on eventually opening his own dojo here in NZ.

But yeah, I would love to do some training in Aikido.

- Marie
Seventh Year | Gryff SPD Prefect | Agent T 02' | Holyhead Harpies 03' | SUN Scares 04' | Toffee Tiger Liger for Lyfe
-----9 1/2 inches, ebony, phoenix feather[color=black]-----#~[/color]

Willow Granger
No broom

Postby Willow Granger » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:59 am

Hmm...i'd also like training in Brazilian Jujistsu and all the courses in IMPACT, as that's also very good. I prefer to study more than one, as often one martial art will specialize in something, and another will specialize in another thing and so on. I also hope to invent my own martial art someday. It would be a lot of fun. It would also be good to know.

Willow

Layla Wolf
No broom

Postby Layla Wolf » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:00 am

I have done Tae-Kwon-Do, but I stopped a couple of years ago at red belt because of muscle pains. I'm hoping to get back to it some time when I have the time and sorted my muscle problems. It taught me so much, not only how to defend my self, but things like respect. It was a right pain though at the time 'cause since I'd learnt respect, curtisoy etc and other kids in my school hadn't, which meant although I showed respect for them, they didn't show it to me. dry.gif

Vaynard Kent
No broom

Postby Vaynard Kent » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:56 pm

Hmmmm... I've just start my kendo practice about few months ago, till now i'm still practice...

i just can say kendo isn't just one of a martial arts, but it's everything for me, it's an art. philosophy of a samurai, and contains the way of samurai's life... smile.gif

So Kendo, isn't just like above...
kendo is one of the parts of my life and i'm proud of its.. wink.gif

May Lee
Oakshaft 79

Postby May Lee » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:29 pm

I've done Taekwondo too, when i was a high school student. only till the blue belt, hehehe.. But i stopped because i had final exams and i was preparing for my graduation day. sad.gif
>> Burn the evils of the world with brilliant truth <<

Zach Goldenfarb
Oakshaft 79

Postby Zach Goldenfarb » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:57 pm

Haha, when I was 8 years old, my and my twin brother tried it and on our first minute of karate when we ran in circles, both of us ran out the door, haha.
Gryffindor 2007-2008 for the cup!
You know you want to win.
MAKE AS MANY POINTS AS YOU CAN!

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:22 pm

I'd love to continue tae kwon do. I use to have to do it for school. But I haven't done it for years. Would love to continue my training. When I have more time and when I am completely healed.

Return to “Sports Talk”