Equestrian Sports

Discuss Football, Tennis, Bowling, Rugby, Cricket...

Moderator: Prof. Rorey Padfoot

Elle Saint
No broom

Postby Elle Saint » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:31 pm

Hi, I was just wandering if anyone else on HOL was into horses, such as myself, and also, if anyone did Equestrian sports. biggrin.gif
Elle Saint/ el554/ Ravenclaw First Year
LAUGH! It makes you and the people around you happier. *G*

Elleze Drayer
No broom

Postby Elleze Drayer » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:37 pm

I'm horse crazy too! I have three Tennesse Walking Horses. We don't show or compete or anything, but they're great for a trail ride and a jump here or there. I used to take lessons for English riding. Do you have horses, Elle? Do you compete and stuff like that?
"The only woman awake is the woman who has heard the flute." -- Rumi

Elle Saint
No broom

Postby Elle Saint » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:33 am

YAY! Thanks so much for replying... for a moment there, I thought I was a draw-back? or something like that... tongue.gif Anyways, up to the point!

Yes, I have a thoroughbred horse by the name of Kelly! I'm currently taking lessons in English, but I LOVE to do bareback riding. I've entered a few local and state competitions in dressage and show jumping, and thanks to Kerri, won a few ribbons and medals... biggrin.gif

I also like to go trail riding now and then, but the stable where I board Kerri doesn't have many trails... sad.gif However, my coach and I gather some riders now and then, and we go to beaches and other places to have fun and give the horses fresh air... smile.gif

Elle Saint
No broom

Postby Elle Saint » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:37 am

And I almost forgot...

HAPPY NEW YEAR~! I hope your horses are healthy and prosperous in 2005~!

Adelaide Starr
No broom

Postby Adelaide Starr » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:48 am

i love riding horses
i used to take lessons and all that
but i havent had time for it; i kind of miss it~ huh.gif
Image *why do i perform..?* *...why do i breathe.?*
*Hufflepuff Rocks* * believe in the magic *

Angelina Bell
No broom
Location: A Place Where Heaven And Earth Are One And The Same (Gryffindor)

Postby Angelina Bell » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:29 am

i had horses until about 6 years ago. i was an excellent bearback and english saddle rider. i had two horses( really they were my aunt's and my mom's but that's not the point) they were missouri fox trotters and perfect for rides in the country

Siggy done by Rachel Baudelaire

Page Potter
No broom

Postby Page Potter » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:36 am

I love horses. I used to have them once apon a time. I started out doing the Three day eventing and ended up doing the Hunter/Jumpers. I have all kinds of ribbons, prizes and a medal. I loved it and I really miss haveing horses. I gave my show horse away after I had kids. That was really hard. sad.gif

Page

Elle Saint
No broom

Postby Elle Saint » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:45 am

Awww... I've never had to give up horses, but it must be really hard. sad.gif The thought of leaving my horse just breaks me inside... Has anyone done an equestrian class that isn't really "normal" (for example, relays, timed matches, or made up activities)?

Adelaide Starr
No broom

Postby Adelaide Starr » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:41 am

OURS was totally "normal" lol. i went to 2 different stables (one of them moved away so i went to the other one)
one time (at the 1st one) my horse got spooked and started cantering (i hadnt gotten to cantering yet then) and then he suddenly stopped so i flew over his head. that was fun.. another time i got to do that thing where we're in a carriage-like thing and the horse is blinded and we lead them w/ reigns .. that was for fun.. waht is that called?? lol

at the 2nd one, it was even more "normal".. once in awhile, we'd go on trail rides and stuff.. that was fun.. but.. yeah.. we never had any games or activities and such.. :-/
Image *why do i perform..?* *...why do i breathe.?*
*Hufflepuff Rocks* * believe in the magic *

Page Potter
No broom

Postby Page Potter » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:11 am

Page Potter wrote:I love horses. I used to have them once apon a time. I started out doing the Three day eventing and ended up doing the Hunter/Jumpers. I have all kinds of ribbons, prizes and a medal. I loved it and I really miss haveing horses. I gave my show horse away after I had kids. That was really hard. sad.gif

Page

"Go big, or go home." wink.gif

Dani Myrrdin
No broom

Postby Dani Myrrdin » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:39 am

I too am an avid horseperson. I love my horses, although with the weather lately, I haven't gotten a chance to do much riding.

*sigh*

As for competing, I haven't in many years. I have several ribbons in western pleasure and I had started training my horse, Jamaica, for the barrels and poles, but I never actually showed him in those events. He was shown by a kid in 4-H whose horse wouldn't load and they won second in both events. Now that particular horse is 25 and he is a horse for my niece and nephew to ride on because I know I can trust him to take care of them.

The horse I ride now is an Arabian/Quarter Horse cross named Willow. She is my first attempt at training and I just trail ride on her, but there is nothing better to me than riding trails. Competing was ok, but it could be so stressful that it just wasn't as fun any more, but trail riding... nothing better than you, a horse, and open country!
Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think.

Andrea Corr
No broom

Postby Andrea Corr » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:48 am

does anyone here compete in three-day eventing? right now, i am on vacation from training until spring. if anyone competes, where do you usually compete at?

Leyla Night
No broom

Postby Leyla Night » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:05 pm

When I was about 10-12 years old, I used to do horseback riding, but it's a long time ago now. Also, we almost never did any jumping at all, since the focus was mostly on the dressage (spelling?) part. But I had fun there, definitely!

Equestrian sports is nice to watch, though, even though I hardly every tried it myself.

Lauren Bundy
No broom

Postby Lauren Bundy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:46 am

I'm a 3-day eventer! I ride an x-racer named Laddie. We're currently going novice under Imtiaz Anees. I usually show at Big Bear, Poplar Place and Flat Creek but some other places too. I usually di the GDCTA (Georgia Dressage and Combined Training Association) circut.
I also own a QH for trails and pleasure riding, sometimes I show him in Western Pleasure or Amoeba eventing but he's just not into showing. I ride Walkers and Rackers also, a friend or mine owns the horses. but I've shown at the Racking World Celebration and hopefully next year will compete in Shelbyville for the Nation Celebration (I think that's it I'm not sure though).
I'm hoping to make my life around horses as either a trainer or an equine vet. I'm verry interested in their muscle groups and started to give my own shots and all at thirteen.
ImageThanks to hena @ Sig'nAvy Palace for my Siggy!

Avery Brookshire
No broom

Postby Avery Brookshire » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:57 pm

I used to have horses when I lived in California, but I never did competitions or shows with them. I love horses too!! I think I like trail riding the best-but my grandma had a lot of open land, so I loved just running over the fields-it's just you and the horse. Ah, love it. My grandparents recently moved to Oregon with us and had their dreamhouse built with a barn for horses. But for some odd reason, my grandma decided on getting Scottish Highland cows instead!?! But lately she's been pestering my grandpa to get horses soon, so we're getting some in the summer!!!!!! YAY!!! Any ideas for names?
*Yo ho, yo -ouch!- a pirate's life for me*

"Of course the Neverlands vary a good deal. John's had a lagoon with flamingo's flying over it at which John was shooting, while Michael, who was very small, had a flamingo with lagoons flying over it."

~I'm having Sirius denial~

Elle Saint
No broom

Postby Elle Saint » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:58 pm

Avery Brookshire wrote:... she's been pestering my grandpa to get horses soon, so we're getting some in the summer!!!!!! YAY!!! Any ideas for names?

Hmmm... What sort of name are you looking for (mythical, mystical, classy, long, or just plain beautiful)? One of my friend's younger sister named her pony Rudolph once. It was soooo sweet and adorable *G* (especially during Christmas). biggrin.gif

Tulojow Nagde
No broom

Postby Tulojow Nagde » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:35 am

Horses are definately a passion. I used to have a Quarter Horse named Bill that I would spend hours trail riding with. I took lessons with Tennessee Walking Horses as well and showed under saddle seat with them occasionally. I had to sell my Bill when I went to college and it was the hardest thing I ever did. It was the first time he had problems getting in a trailer and it took 2 hours.
Since then, being a poor college student and veterinary technician have made it less than possible. During college I worked every summer with horses. One summer at a camp up in the San Juan Islands of Washington and another at the stables in Yosemite.
I can't wait to get back into riding. After i finish vet school I will definately have horses. I know I will have an andalusian and friesen and will do dressage. I am waiting as patiently as I can
Sometimes life gives us lessons sent in ridiculous packaging.
- Dar Williams
Never Headbutt A Unicorn!Image

Dani Myrrdin
No broom

Postby Dani Myrrdin » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:57 am

Tulojow Nagde wrote:I know I will have an andalusian and friesen and will do dressage. 

Dressage is such an elegant discipline. I was fortunate enough to attend the Freestyle Dressage competition at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. It was amazing. I love to watch Dressage whenever possible. With the Grand Prix level, they look like their dancing, especially the freestyle. I've also been able to see the Lippazaners a couple of time... once they spent the night at the barn where my horse was stabled! I would love to have a horse that could do the airs. Unfortunately for me, I live in a part of the country/world where Dressage is not common at all. Around here it's either the Tennesssee Walking horses or Western competitions like barrel racing (which is fun) and I don't have the monetary means to move to a location where Dressage is prevalent. So I will be content to watch... besides if I irritate my old horse enough, he will do the Passat and Passage! tongue.gif
Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think.

Narcia Bellamy
No broom

Postby Narcia Bellamy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:04 pm

I really miss horseback riding! I used to do it every week. And now ... nothing. It was wonderful. I used to be obsessed with unicorns when I was younger. One day, I hope maybe to even own a horse, but we'll see. That's if I get to buy my English country cottage and write for a living. happy.gif (So jealous of the author Anne McCaffrey!!)

Meg Chesterbrook
No broom

Postby Meg Chesterbrook » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:34 pm

i do think horse competeing is somewhat dumb, i mean the whole 4th plce in the olympics is just werid bacuse there should be a gold, sliver and a bronze. i don't like horse because i'm not interested in getting my spine cracked from being bucked over or stampeeded by a horse thank you very much!
"Respect your superiors, if you have any"

"There is no sadder thing than a young pessimist, except an old optimist"

"Honor is a harder master than the law"

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest"

~Mark Twain~

Return to “Sports Talk”