New mobile game - Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery

Moderator: Arianna Stonewater

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

New mobile game - Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Pottermore has announced yet another development from the Portkey games label.

This time it will be a role playing game for your phone! You will get to create your own character and play as a student going through the years... It sounds just like HOL!

Will you try this or would you prefer another game playing as Harry Potter and going through the story written in the books?

Learn more here
Last edited by Prof. Zoki Phantom on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to add game name

Resyarrina Elora
Oakshaft 79

Re: New mobile game

Postby Resyarrina Elora » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:53 pm

I'm excited about this, can't wait for the games to launch. I will try, i like any kind of harry potter games and always give a shot, even tough many times i do gave up some. :P

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:31 am

I am terribly excited about this! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am already playing a HP Universe game, but I don't think it's through those creators even though it's based on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It's a hidden objects type game that I wrote about in the Serpentimes a while back.

I think anything that gets me closer to the Harry Potter world will be so much fun, and I can't wait until it's released to try it out. I wonder if it will be based off energy like most of the other mobile games I've seen where you can only do so much until your energy restores or if it will be a console like game where you play it whenever you want to play it for as long as you want to play it. I kind of like that the Fantastic Beasts game is energy based only because it keeps me from playing it all day. It's really fun.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Resyarrina Elora
Oakshaft 79

Postby Resyarrina Elora » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:01 am

Shiloh Adlar wrote:I am terribly excited about this! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am already playing a HP Universe game, but I don't think it's through those creators even though it's based on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It's a hidden objects type game that I wrote about in the Serpentimes a while back.

I think anything that gets me closer to the Harry Potter world will be so much fun, and I can't wait until it's released to try it out. I wonder if it will be based off energy like most of the other mobile games I've seen where you can only do so much until your energy restores or if it will be a console like game where you play it whenever you want to play it for as long as you want to play it. I kind of like that the Fantastic Beasts game is energy based only because it keeps me from playing it all day. It's really fun.

Hi, i'm playing it too.. Really easy to attracted by Harry Potter's theme, just like anything, books, movie, games! Can't wait for the game!

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:36 am

Official release date is April 25!!

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:10 am

Yay! Thanks Arianna for keeping us updated! I can't wait. Coming up so quickly!
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Prof. Zoki Phantom
Shooting Star

Re: New mobile game - Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery

Postby Prof. Zoki Phantom » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Alrighty, so I've been playing this for the last few days so I figured I'd put in some thoughts on it.

In general I like the concept and the game can be entertaining. I was rather disappointing on registration that they have a weird naming filter so variations of what I wanted to name my characters were not possible, but that was easy to forgive. Next up was the fact that there was no actual Sorting ceremony, instead they just let you select your house. After some thinking on the subject I realised this works better than sorting ceremonies, because from what we've seen people generally are *NOT* happy with what house they're put in.

Once I got through that part, the game actually has an interesting plot, your character has a nice little story that you can somewhat tweak (have not figured out how much yet, would need to re-play with picking other options to see if the results will be vastly different). The classes are nice, the NPC character interaction is cool, etc. The main "issue" of course is the patience trap. As a freemium mobile game, the business model is to ask you to wait for stuff, or pay for energy/time. If you could complete whole classes / actions with the given energy and then wait till starting the next one, I believe I'd have a better experience playing it. Currently I end up halting mid-way through a class or an action as I have to wait for my energy to refill. It's quite frustrating to be honest.

There are also parts of it which are yet to be "clear" to me, but I guess that will need further playing. For example do my house points really matter, and how it is that these other students gain points compared to my own progress. Currently I'm way ahead of everyone else, despite having lost a total of 30 house points so far because of Merula and Snape. A quick search on the internet tells me that these "competing" students are in fact other players, and we've been grouped randomly. If that's the case, my competition does not seem to be up to the task yet. lol

Anyway, will keep playing, let's see what else it holds in store.

Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Tue May 08, 2018 9:25 am

We are playing against other people? That is not what I was told. Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll try playing it again. Also I wish the game had a multiverse where you can play with other people. Oh well.

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Wed May 16, 2018 12:01 am

Further update:

I'm still frustrated by the energy levels, but I've worked out a pretty good system I think to get tasks done. I always do the 8hr classes so I have more time, I don't start until I have full energy and once I use up the energy I just go do some other task until my energy is mostly full again.

I have been more careful about watching when I'm close to growing another level since it refreshes your energy and several times i was at like 28/29 energy when i got the experience points to gain another level and so really only got one extra energy. When I see i'm close to a new level I just keep using my energy as soon as I have it to maximize the refill. Also, here are some places in the game you can get an extra energy:

-East Towers: First picture frame on the left when it's empty (this one takes a long time to refill, 6-8hrs), Peeves by the ladder to the Divination Classroom (refills ~every 4-6hrs)
-West Towers: Picture frame next to Prefects' Bathroom (this one is available most often, I'd say every 4hrs or so!)
-Lower Floor-West: Unlit torch to the right of the Great Hall (~5-6hr refill time), Middle Solider statue to the right of the Great Hall with the leaning sword (also a long one, 5-7hr refill time)
-Dungeons: Sleeping House Elf to the left of the Potions Classroom (~5-6hr refill time)
-Castle Grounds: Stick on the ground by the path to Hagrid's Hut, Hello baby Fang!! (~5-6hr refill time)
-Lower Floor-East: Scattered books on the bench between the Library and the History of Magic classroom (~5-6hr refill time)
-Hogsmeade: student located in the alley between Honeydukes and The Three Broomsticks (~5-6hr refill time)
Did I miss any?

But enough about that. I do still really like the graphics, and the gameplay is getting better. I'm invested in what's happening (I want to find my brother!!! and now that Bill Weasley's helping me, how can I stop?) Plus, even though I've been playing for a while now, it still doesn't use much battery or take up much storage space (note, i do mostly play on WIFI but my phone has unlimited data so I'm not sure how it's doing on that aspect)

Return to “Pottermore”