Pottermore's New Canon

Moderator: Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Comet 140

Postby Prof. Cosmo B. Mott » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:01 am

Sure, Pottermore has things like Sorting and wands and whatever, but the awesome part is clearly the new stuff JKR has written, to fill in background and details.

Honestly, I've loved all the new material. I love the story about when Lily and James and Vernon and Petunia met, and how James was amused by Vernon's... Vernonness, basically, and how it didn't go well at all. I love the background about how wands used to be made and all the attention that Mr. Ollivander puts into his. The new information about wands in general is fascinating (and my Pottermore wand is rather awesome, I must say). McGonagall's story is beautiful and lovely and tragic and just so her. That the Sorting Hat is skilled in Legilimency is obvious in hindsight, but I never thought about it that way before. And the bit about clothes was great, including (I surmise) a cameo from Archie the flowery-nightgown-wearing dude from the Quidditch World Cup! Yay!

Basically, I love it a lot.

What did you love, hate, shrug at, ignore, squeal over, etc. from JKR's new Pottermore offerings? Did any of it surprise you or make you rethink how you view something from the books? Discuss!
"...they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."
-James Hilton's Random Harvest

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:37 pm

One thing that I absolutely love about the new information is

the wand stuff. My Pottermore wand is

CYPRESS WITH DRAGON CORE, TWELVE AND A HALF INCHES, SLIGHTLY SPRINGY

I went through the different woods and their meanings -- and actually there was information in there about the woods which is new and different to me! Obviously J K Rowling did a bunch of research into the lore of wand-making (and the history of the Ollivander family). I'm trying to figure out a way to 'link' those informations to my Wand-Making class ...

There is, of course, more to add -- if only because I haven't yet found my way into some of the more 'hidden' areas. But I'm still finding galleons and books and bits and pieces of all kinds of magical substances.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Mopsy Prewett
No broom

Postby Mopsy Prewett » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:50 am

I'm just eating up the new tidbits. Every morsel of it is perfect!

In a weird way, the backstory with Vernon and Petunia makes me appreciate Vernon a bit more. He could have chosen to run the other way when Petunia revealed the secret about her sister (which opens the concern of her own genetics), but he loved her so much he decided to stand by her side regardless. I think it's especially nice to see such sweetness and acceptance from such an otherwise horrible person.

The Hatstall info was intriguing, particularly the rareness of it. And Neville's fight with the Sorting Hat! <3 I guess I just shrugged off the bit about the Hat using Legilimency, because it seemed so obvious. Not in a I-knew-it sort of way, but more in a that-makes-perfect-sense-moving-along sort of way. heh Basically, it didn't induce an 'Aha!' moment.

It was amusing to see that Quirrell enjoys flower-pressing, all the wand info from Ollivander's notes is simply amazing (and so in-depth!), but the real treat for me is definitely McGonagall's backstory. It's so touching and bittersweet. And how perfect is it that her father is a Scottish Presbyterian minister? It so accurately explains where she got her personality!
| mo513 | Hufflepuff Post Grad |
"A clean cauldron keeps potions from becoming poisons."

Prof. Ulol Kimil
Shooting Star

Postby Prof. Ulol Kimil » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:46 am

Merlin a Slytherin? I thought JK have to do a better research, as Merlin "lived" 400 years before Hogwarts was founded. So there is no way Merlin had the chance to attend Hogwarts, less to be in Slytherin. Rowlings better only mess with her own characters.
Life without books is death...

We can all dream a new dream and live a life of freedom... it is a matter of choice and will. - Spirit Knowledge

Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Comet 140

Postby Prof. Cosmo B. Mott » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:47 am

But if Merlin was both exceptionally long-lived and lived backwards, which is something I seem to remember from various Arthurian legend things, that could mean that Merlin went to Hogwarts when he was young before he ended up with Arthur and co. THE NEW STUFF IS BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFUL AND HOW DARE YOU TRY TO BE REASONABLE ABOUT IT? *vcg*
"...they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."
-James Hilton's Random Harvest

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Prof. Ulol Kimil wrote:
QUOTE (Prof. Ulol Kimil @ Sep 9 2011, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Merlin a Slytherin? I thought JK have to do a better research, as Merlin "lived" 400 years before Hogwarts was founded. So there is no way Merlin had the chance to attend Hogwarts, less to be in Slytherin. Rowlings better only mess with her own characters.

Merlin could have been living backwards, as mentioned elsewhere, and that seems very reasonable to me. He could also have access to (ie have invented) many many potions, charms and other things which could give him the appearance, if not the actuality, of youth. So he could have gone to Hogwarts as an apparent Ickle, Sorted himself into the House which would most suit his needs. The Sorting Hat used Legilimency, of course, but by that time, Merlin was a few centuries old and most likely a highly accomplished Legimens himself. So who knows 'why' he ended up in Slytherin?

Besides which, it's MAGIC, Your Pink Fluffy Slipperness!
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Vera Prince
No broom

Postby Vera Prince » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:47 am

I found it a bit amusing that Rowling added the "Merlin was a Slytherin" as a sort of consolation prize for being in Slytherin. Pah~! Snakes rock :)

I have to say though, I absolutely adored all the extra information about wands and such. The amount of research that went into that is fabulous. My wand (that I adore, even though it doesn't exist yet) is unyielding 10 inch black walnut with unicorn hair core.
Last edited by Vera Prince on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creds to Brie MacKenna for the awesome siggy~!

Bellatrix Rose
No broom

Postby Bellatrix Rose » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:07 am

I love Pottermore.... just all of the stuff that is put into it....

I was thrilled with my Sorting! It was perfectly me... :D

Prof. Iruel Riddle
Oakshaft 79

Postby Prof. Iruel Riddle » Sun May 27, 2012 8:49 pm

I have to say I loved every piece of new information we were given. All the new stuff about the characters was fascinating, and added more depth to them. I also really enjoyed the sections about what each aspect of a wand means. It was very fascinating.
Prof. Iruel Riddle|pr_rid|Slytherin

"You know your place in the sky
You hold your course and your aim
And, each in your season returns and returns, and is always the same.."
-Javert, Stars, Les Miserables

Eleanor Chambers
Oakshaft 79

Postby Eleanor Chambers » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Everything was wonderful to read about, and I really can't wait until the second book is opened up for us to explore. Think about everything that could be revealed!

I really don't mind the whole Merlin being in Slytherin confusion. Especially because JK Rowling is sort of known to get her maths and dates wrong. Though I suppose 500 years is pretty ridiculous. Then again, Merlin was legendary (though based on Myrddin Wyllt) and the story goes that he had the ability to shape-shift along with many other things. He could have easily lived a long, long time. Perhaps he contributed to the opening of the school, and was placed in Slytherin as an adult. Who knows. I just love that he was in Slytherin though.
`[color=goldenrod],'.
[color=996633]/[/color] ELLA|[/color]| Gryffindor| Fourth Year |

Jade Noir
No broom

Postby Jade Noir » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:56 pm

I love Pottermore and all the new content...but I eagerly await the rest of the second book. I realize that the site is still in BETA though so there are kinks to be worked out. But I wonder what the motive is for launching a site with only that much content out. They must have known that those who join Pottermore are HP addicts and want their HP immediately. ...Just sayin.

Janie Peterson
No broom

Postby Janie Peterson » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:13 am

I don't know.
I joined Pottermore with my expectations pretty low. :X
I think that it's one of the most amazing ideas ever.
J.K Rowling really knows how to outdo herself.
And just the thought of all the extra content about the characters and all that.
It's amazing and inspirational. :) I love hearing her ideas that she never published. :)
It makes my Harry Potter experience more complete. Just saying! n_n

Patrick James
No broom

Postby Patrick James » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:11 am

When I signed up for Pottermore, I though it was just gonna be pages from the books and we have to read them while some stuff popped up from the pages!

Well, I was SO WRONG! :lol:

I love the environment JK Rowling puts in it, you have to find items and put it in the trunk, go to Diagon Alley and buy the entire school list, the trivia before getting your wand and your house!

I was so tensed on which house I would get, then the red and gold colors filled my laptop screen and i was overfilled with joy!:yahoo:

I felt how Harry felt under the sorting hat and JK did an amazing job there!

Pottermore's amazing! The first 4 chapters of The Chamber of Secrets is open now :D

Enid Labs
No broom

Postby Enid Labs » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:00 pm

As for me, I have to say I just love how they made the first chapters of the second book; specially that they had in account all the suggestions the users made (for example, they put more games, and more things to do/find, that is something a lot of us were asking to be done).

I just think that anyway there are more hidden things in the story that she isn't telling us. I mean, in the first book you have LOTS of extra information, and in this one is like you have not so many as in the first one... but I may be wrong, anyway.
Enid Labs||en602||First year Student||PPC Member||HOL Book Club Member

Life can be awful if you aren't able to see it's bright side.

Diandra Mordecai
No broom

Postby Diandra Mordecai » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:00 am

LOVE Pottermore! The pages are beautiful and the extra info is awesome. I mean... if you're focused on the interactive pieces, it's pretty lackluster, but I don't think many of us real Potterheads care too much about that anyway.

Coolest extra info pieces:

1. McGonagall's backstory
2. The bit about wands
3. The concept of a full-out train system for epic trips of magicalness. If I still wrote fanfiction, I tell you...
Last edited by Diandra Mordecai on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

February Fortescue
Oakshaft 79

Postby February Fortescue » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:22 pm

I really enjoy the new information Pottermore puts out there. In a recent interview, JKR said she cried over the biography for Lupin she's written for the upcoming Prisoner of Azkaban. Cannot wait to read that! And most recently we learned more about Draco and the Malfoy family history.

I was surprised she didn't tell us officially which House Lockhart was sorted into, though. I'm guessing this means the movies got it correct, and it was Ravenclaw.
av and sig by talented Prof. Fumei Spookie

February Fortescue
Oakshaft 79

Re: Pottermore's New Canon

Postby February Fortescue » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:44 pm

There may be no more canon. Pottermore's Facebook page just posted this:

"On September 9, we’ll be awarding the last House Cup, so keep duelling and brewing and help lead your house to glory."

My personal GUESS is that they'll be taking the entire site down site down and begin focusing on Scamander and that group.
av and sig by talented Prof. Fumei Spookie

Kim Alting
Cleansweep One

Postby Kim Alting » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:47 pm

I don't think (read: hope) that they put it down. I guess there just won't be new things to do and it won't be updated again. I think we still can visit it and read everything :)

Lavinia Rookwood
No broom

Postby Lavinia Rookwood » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Has there been a blog that posted up all the Pottermore info for people to read? I have alot of trouble with the games so I don't get to see as much as I do, and most of the stuff I seen is posted here and there.

If not, I really hope that don't pull it down, since I still need to finish reading everything!

Return to “Pottermore”