Introductions

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Oakshaft 79

Introductions

Postby Prof. Gustavo Flores » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:55 pm

This is the place where you can introduce yourself to the rest of the class! You can tell us why you decided to take this class, what other HOL classes you are taking, what do you like doing, or anything else you think convenient. Remember that, if you wish, this can be 10 points worth of assignment or extra credit.

I'll start myself:

I'm Prof. Gustavo Flores, from the fantastic and noble Ravenclaw House. I am Mexican, I am 26 years old. I studied Communications, and now I am a High-School Professor, teaching "Reading and Writing Workshop" and "Literature"!! I truly love my job! It's easily one of the best things that has happened to me! Ok, what else?? Literature, Cinema, and dancing are the activities I enjoy doing the most! I'm always reading a book, I can never say no when it's about watching a movie, and most of my free time is spent in dancing rehearsals or dancing classes (jazz, contemporary jazz, flexibility and gimnastics). I also enjoy playing board games and playing with my lovely dog! The classes I will be taking this term are: Confronting your Boggart, Famous Magical Equines, Marvellous Musical Theatre - Act 3, The Battle of Hogwarts and Theory of Charms. I am very excited about all of them, and I truly hope I will be able to finish them!

Besides Healing Herbology, I am also teaching Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them and my brand new class Disney Studies: The Classics! Make sure to check them out!

So, who's next?! :D
Last edited by Prof. Gustavo Flores on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teagan Falak
No broom

Re: Introductions

Postby Teagan Falak » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:57 am

My name is Teagan Falak :)
I'm a Slytherin first year. I have been into learning about gardening vegetables for a couple of years now, and last year I started to grow some herbs. When I saw this class I realized it would be a great help for me in enhancing my knowledge of plants, flowers, herbs and whatnot. I'm also taking Ancient Runes, Chinese Festivals, Charms, and Wand Making. I think this school is great and I can already tell I'm going to love this class. I also hope to be able to offer some interesting points of my own that make it worth while to all who contribute. Thank You.
Hope everyone has a great time as I look forward to getting to know as many of my classmates as I can. :)

Selene Blackwell
No broom

Postby Selene Blackwell » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:43 am

Hi! My name is Selene Blackwell, I am a first year Slytherin student. GO GREEN TEAM! I am taking this course because I just graduated with my Masters of Science in Nursing degree... so I'm a Nurse Practitioner. But more importantly I am a budding herbalist and LOVE studying Herbology. Plants are wonderful and can do many things for and to the human body! During the last 5 years I found that a lot of my older patients refuse to take "those darn pills and medications" but if I recommend something like Saw Palmetto for BPH they get all excited and will agree to take that! So... during my Masters program I delved a lot deeper into Herbalism with my cohorts and we actually discovered a lot of Evidence Based Research regarding different flowers and herbs!! As always - knowing what CANNOT be used for certain people is just as important as knowing what can be used. Needless to say... I LOVE THIS TOPIC and can't wait to continue learning!!

Disclaimer: I am by NO MEANS a master herbalist but I am willing to learn and grow and do the research necessary in order to better understand the many ways to utilize flowers and roots and leaves. Also, I will not answer medical questions as I have no medical liability over the internet and cannot assess you in person.

Aurelia West
No broom

Postby Aurelia West » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:40 am

Hello! I'm Aurelia West, a Slytherin third year, and I'm super excited for this term. I honestly don't have much knowledge of plants, but I'm here to learn and am excited to try my hand with something new! I'm also taking Norse Myths and Legends, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Forensic Anthropology: When Bones Talk, and Poetry Writing right now and I'm really enjoying all of them! In real life, I'm a freshman in college where I'm studying Dance Performance and Choreography, and I hope to eventually pursue a professional career. I also really enjoy chemistry and psychology and I wish I had more time to look up at the sky. Unfortunately, most of what I do takes place indoors, although I once had the opportunity to study in an open-air studio which had no walls!

Arianna Stonewater
Silver Arrow

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Hello! I'm Arianna Stonewater, second year Slytherin Prefect! I'm quite excited for this class, the only things I really know about plants are what I learned in my Poisons class last semester with Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis and by having two plots in the greenhouses. Oh, and I also have a plant in my IRL office that i've managed to keep alive for almost a year now! My ultimate goal after graduation is to join the Committee on Experimental Charms, and I'm sure this class will help with that, as I want to expand with charms on plants and charmed potions.

Besides Disney Studies: The Classics, I am also teaching Healing Herbology and Dance Academy: Ballet! Make sure to check them out!

Reggy Faraday
No broom

Postby Reggy Faraday » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:12 pm

I'm Reggy Faraday, a Hufflepuff first year. I've been meaning for a long time to learn more about herbs, now more than ever since my new job involves working with vitamins and supplements. I hope to learn more about the plants all these wonderful supplements come from, and appreciate their effects. I'm already a big fan of chamomile and peppermint, especially when taken as teas.

This term, I'm taking Forensic Anthropology and Advanced Divination alongside this one, so it looks like a super cool term for me!
Hufflepuff first year :: re1080

"'I wish somebody would write a story sometime about the people who warm up the heroes afterward.'" - Moominland Midwinter

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:00 am

I'm Tarma Black and I'm a Professor here at HOL Hogwarts. I joined as a student, was a student for 7 years, took the NEWTS and survived them and became a Professor. I joined the class because I took Dance Academy and LOVED it, and wanted to see what else Professor Flores teaches and ... well, look at that! Herbology!

I was very fortunate to grow up with plants -- my father had big gardens, with all kinds of vegetables and fruit trees and shrubs and ... just lots and lots of plants. At first I didn't enjoy them, per se, because it meant planting and weeding and watering and hoeing and calluses and getting up before it got hot to do the chores. However, gradually, I learned to enjoy the gardens, and plants, for themselves and now I voluntarily have a garden of my own. I am so enthralled with them that I actually got a copy of Culpepper's Color Herbal (this is not 'my' copy, just a picture off the web)
(which, when I first got it I highlighted in it ARGGGG but I've learned not to do that! Really!) but the title on my book is Culpepper's not Culpepers ... and that just got me more and more interested in finding out about herbs and how wonderful they are.

I'm in 4 other classes this Term -- Animagus 101, Dueling 101, Norse Myths and Legends and The Marauders 101 -- and look forward to having a lot of fun with them. Thank you for accepting me to be in this class. :)
*Avatar-Terrier (Beka Cooper)*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Bianca Delacroix
No broom

Postby Bianca Delacroix » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:07 am

Hellooo, I'm Bianca Delacroix. I am a Second Year, soon to be Third Year (finally) proud Slytherin !!
I have been thoroughly enjoying Healing Herbology lessons, I am myself an accomplished gardener with a wide knowledge of plants, vegetables, trees, edibles, propagation, seed collecting, genetics, etc. I've always loved gardening, my mom used to garden in huge raised garden beds that she attached hoop houses to in the Spring and which then bursted with all kinds of plants in the summer. It was magical and it just struck me as so interesting, BIOLOGY!! Anyway, I love learning about nature in general and Healing Herbology seemed like a perfect class for me. I'm also taking Divination, Hogwarts - The Castle, and Knitting.

Return to “Healing Herbology”