An Old Friend

Moderators: Quidditch Captain, Quidditch Board

Godrics Ghost
No broom

An Old Friend

Postby Godrics Ghost » Thu May 28, 2015 4:57 am

I am bemused and delighted to find this forum!

My (HOL) name is/was Godrics Ghost, and over thirteen years ago I created the little software program that interfaces with IRC to run the quidditch games (both quaffle play and snitch play). (I also created the rules and logic puzzle format for the snitch side of the game; the rules for the quaffle side were created by Rames, I think). I don't know if you are still using the actual program or whether someone rewrote it at some point, but looking at the logs it still looks like the output from my program.

Whether it's still the program I wrote or not, I'm really pleased to see that HOL still exists and that the trivia quidditch games are still being played over a decade later.

Warmest regards,

Godrics Ghost

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Comet 180

Re: An Old Friend

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Thu May 28, 2015 5:07 am

*hugs*

Thank you so much for creating snitch play!!

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu May 28, 2015 5:37 am

What a delight to hear from you, Godrics Ghost. Thank you very much for the software program. I'm not a Seeker like Scarlet (although I have played as a Seeker if absolutely there was no one else ...) but I feel the program for Snitch play is just so superb! You actually put Wronski Feints in it!

How lovely that you came visiting. ^_^
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Wraith Ternarius
No broom

Postby Wraith Ternarius » Thu May 28, 2015 6:58 am

a remake was created for both quaffle and snitch but it is not used in official snitch games due to the fact that it doesn't remove wronski feints from the game upon activation. many people like it for practice games, though. and your original quaffle program is still in use by some, too.

snitch is an amazing game -- you'd be excited to see the nuances in strategic play that seekers have found, i think.

Prof. Zoki Phantom
Shooting Star

Postby Prof. Zoki Phantom » Thu May 28, 2015 8:43 pm

Glad to see you've remembered HOL and stopped by for a visit!

Thank you so much for your work toward bringing quidditch to life (at least in its virtual form), but even more so for making snitch play possible. :D

Marcie Hobber
No broom

Postby Marcie Hobber » Fri May 29, 2015 10:35 pm

I joined HOL after you left, I think, so I didn't get to know you. But I'm very grateful for your programs, and I use both still!

Pure genious in my opinion. :)

Hope you are doing well!

Avatar made by Jasmin at the Sig 'n' Av Palace
Signature made by Sirius Fudge
"Let's all just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best."

Return to “Quidditch Talk”