TV Crossovers

Discuss TV Show Here

Moderator: Sky Alton

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

TV Crossovers

Postby Sky Alton » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:02 pm

I’m nearly finished with The Defenders, an entire series dedicated to bringing together the characters and storylines from 4 other shows from the MCU (itself a maze of references and out and out team ups). Holby City, a British medical drama I love, often features characters or plots from sister show, Casualty.

I really enjoy these instances: there’s just something magic about knowing that they exist in a broader fictional universe and that there are connections there to be explored. At the same time, I can remember some TV crossovers that perhaps didn’t make quite as much sense or work as well.

So, do you like TV Crossovers? Do you think they have creative depth? Or do you think they’re just gimmicky? You could also let us know your favourite/least favourite examples and if there are any shows past or present you wish would cross over.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Prof. Amy Lupin
Cleansweep Three

Re: TV Crossovers

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:37 am

I remember being pleasantly surprised watching an episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, when Zooey Deschanel's character from New Girl (Jessica Day) appeared. While I haven't watched New Girl since maybe its third season, I do have some fond memories of the show, so it was nice having a reminder. I looked it up and there's a similar crossover in New Girl with Andy Samberg's chracter (Jake Peralta) from Brooklyn Nine-Nine (using the same or a similar scene).

While the crossover was rather unexpected, the directors did it in such a way that it seemed natural, so I was rather impressed with their efforts.

Return to “TV Talk”