Comfort Watching

Discuss TV Show Here
Sky Alton
Comet 140

Comfort Watching

Post by Sky Alton » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Now and again, when I’m feeling down, have had a particularly hard day or need something that doesn’t require too much concentration, I’ll return to one of a few shows. Sabrina the Teenage Witch and the Big Bang Theory for Comedy, Tennant Era Doctor Who or The Musketeers for drama. I’m not entirely sure why but something about these shows just makes me feel better.

Do you have the TV equivalent of comfort food? What shows will you always return to when you need a pick-me-up?
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Comfort Watching

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:50 pm

Sometimes it is just time to sit and 'do nothing' ... and knit!

I'm just now re-watching Doctor Who #10 (David Tennant) and he's met up with Donna Noble again and were Partners in Crime (which is funny because later on they will be meeting with Agatha Christie and yes, she wrote a book with that title). I like watching Doctor Who #9 and #10 for laying back and being comfortable. I love to also watch the documentary things of making the shows and watch the shows with the commentaries.

Another movie, or set of shows I like to watch is the BBC show Neverwhere. I like the story, the music of it, and the people who play the parts ARE the parts. What is funny is who plays the angel ... sometimes I think "The angel has the phone box'. At first I only had the regular DVDs -- I ended up getting the set which has the commentaries by Neil Gaiman.

There are others but those are a couple of go-to shows which I love. As for movies .. well ... a couple which immediately pop up are Stardust and Lord of the Rings (everything of LoTR - movies, commentaries, extras, all of it!). Another which is fast developing as a favorite is Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Yes, I love it. A lot. :wub:
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Vanessa Tilley
Moontrimmer

Post by Vanessa Tilley » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:26 am

If I feel really down, Gilmore Girls is my go to show to feel better although I haven't been able to get myself to watch it yet since I lost my mom. The characters are great and it reminds me of my mom so much. I also like to watch Chance in a Million which is a hilarious British Show from a while ago but I love it!

If I want something really funny, I watch Monty Python, Doc Martin, Are you being served?, and Keeping up Appearances.
Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:04 pm

While I don’t usually rewatch series, there are a few that have helped me get out of a funk, including:
  • Castle
  • Parks and Recreation
  • Shakespeare & Hathaway - Private Investigators
  • The Mentalist
Most of the above shows are mysteries/crime dramas with elements of comedy. Trying to work out whodunnit helps keep my mind off of other things, and being able to have the occasional laugh certainly helps.

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale
Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Post by Shadow Gaunt » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:38 pm

I definitely have some favorites for "comfort watching" and even though most of them are Russian, I still have some favorites in English:
  • Sherlock Holmes
    Harry Potter
There are some more but I can't remember the names right now
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin
Iris Jaylee Shaw
No broom

Post by Iris Jaylee Shaw » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:23 am

My go to tv show that I watch when I'm sick is always America's Next Top Model. It's just something relaxing that I can watch and if I space out or go to sleep it doesn't bother me and I don't have to go back and rewind it.

Steven Universe is a show that I just like to chill to and I'll put on just because. It's not really tv even though I watch it on tv but I also like to watch Escape the Night on youtube. It's a fun show.

Return to “TV Talk”