Viewing Habits?

Discuss TV Show Here

Moderator: Sky Alton

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Viewing Habits?

Postby Sky Alton » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:47 pm

So, I had several episodes of a show to catch up on this weekend and ended up watching them back to back. My brain is now mush and even though there’s one episode to go, I think I’ll save it for next weekend!

But I know lots of my friends love watching shows like this: binge watching them, one episode after the other so they don’t have to wait to find out what happens. We live in an age of boxsets, recordings, catch-up and instant gratification. Personally, I struggle with this because A. I can’t concentrate for that long and B. I feel like I’m burning through a good thing too quickly. I don’t want to start resenting a show because it’s standing between me and sleep. Then again, I hate cliff-hangers and often end up spoiling myself by trying to wait it out and winding up on Wikipedia or IMDB instead.

But what about you guys? Do you like to binge watch or marathon shows? Or are you like me and prefer to leave gaps?
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Re: Viewing Habits?

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:58 am

i definitely prefer to binge! Aside from the fact that I am impatient, watching one episode after another helps me remember what just happened, so i don't have to spend an episode trying to remember what previously happened and end up missing some other detail!

Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:02 pm

I also like to leave it until a whole season is out, if not the series. Mostly because of my impatience, like Arianna, and I really just want to get it all at the same time, so I can watch it at my own pace. I only watch the show on a weekly basis if I am really interested in the it, which currently are only Madam Secretary, South Park and NCIS: New Orleans. Then maybe X-Files when it comes out in 2018.

I also absolutely hate cliffhangers, especially end-of-season ones (still have not forgiven Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior for getting cancelled on a cliffhanger) or arcs that continue through several seasons. Similarly to Sky, if the whole show or season is out, I usually spoil myself on some things, especially if it concerns my favorite characters.
Thank you Dario!

Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:58 pm

I personally binge watch TV shows. I actually will not watch a TV show until the series is over EXCEPT for Game of Thrones and Big Bang Theory. I HATE cliffhangers so I just can't do it until the whole series is up. I LOVE that Stranger Things on Netflix put the whole season up at a time.

Emanuel Hines
No broom

Postby Emanuel Hines » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:07 pm

I do watch series, but in a very slow way. I have ended five Game of thrones seasons in a few days, but now I do have a lot less time. Three times a week I do watch one episode in the evening, maybe sometimes a little more.

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:58 pm

I also will binge watch shows because I don't have enough time generally, so the only time I can watch a show is when I have a period of free time. Plus, I'm always way behind on the current shows that by the time I get to watch them, the whole season is up, or the whole series minus the next season (Game of Thrones for instance) so it makes sense to binge watch them. I really dislike cliffhangers as well, and there are many shows I don't think I could handle watching only week to week.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Postby Shadow Gaunt » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:47 am

I don't like shows. In fact, although some seem interesting I am more drawn to movies or books. Thus, I would say my viewing habits are more like one episode a month.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

Prof. Amy Lupin
Comet 180

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:18 am

I usually only watch one or two episodes at a time, but there have been times where I've binge watched a series.

Aurelia West
Oakshaft 79

Postby Aurelia West » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:25 pm

I typically like to wait until an entire season of a show is out so that I can watch all of the episodes in a short time. However, I don't usually binge watch since I don't have a lot of large blocks of time, so I'll watch a couple episodes at a time like Amy over the course of a week or two. I think that I like waiting until the season's out because I feel like I can catch things that I might not with a week to go between episodes, like symbolism or recurring themes, and I really like being able to connect all of those items during my viewing experience.

Return to “TV Talk”