Holts Reads " The Hobbit"

Ceri McHawk
No broom

Post by Ceri McHawk » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:40 pm

Hello everybody! *waves*
A new year is starting and with it, the HOLTS Staff is working hard /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> (planning) many activities for all the members so you can spend a great time in the club.
In between those things we'll have readings of Tolkien's artwork. Well dear friends... It is time to start with this activity! And for this, what can be better than starting with his first book?

Yes, I'm talking about the one that introduces us all to the magic world of Middle Earth and its amazing creatures: "The Hobbit".

This is also a perfect book for those who met Tokien through "The Lord Of The Rings" films trilogy and find it hard to read the books.

The Hobbit is a masterpiece integrated by 19 chapters; the idea is to read two chapters per week and then discuss them in our boards. At the same time you are reading, it would be great if you start "imagine" or visualize the places it describes (this will help you later... *G*) not to mention remembering the characters we'll be meeting on this wonderful trip.

This is a guide line of The Hobbit chapter's content:

1 - An Unexpected Party
2 - Roast Mutton
3 - A Short Rest
4 - Over Hill and Under Hill
5 - Riddles in the Dark
6 - Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire
7 - Queer Lodgings
8 - Flies and Spiders
9 - Barrels Out of Bond
10 - A Warm Welcome
11 - On the Doorstep
12 - Inside Information
13 - Not at Home
14 - Fire and Water
15 - The Gathering of the Clouds
16 - A Thief in the Night
17 - The Clouds Burst
18 - The Return Journey
19 - The Last Stage

The schedule is:

Week 1 (September 12th - September 18th) - Chapter 1
Week 2 (September 19th - September 25th) - Chapters 2 & 3
Week 3 (September 26th - October 2nd) - Chapters 4 & 5
Week 4 (October 3rd - October 9th) - Chapter 6
Week 5 (October 10th - October 16th) - Chapter 7
Week 6 (October 17th - October 23rd) - Chapter 8
Week 7 (October 23rd - October 29th) - Chapters 9 & 10
Week 8 (October 31st - November 6th) - Chapters 11 & 12
Week 9 (November 7th - November 13th) - Chapters 13 & 14
Week 10 (November 14th - November 20th) - Chapters 15 & 16 & 17
Week 11 (November 21st - November 27th) - Chapters 18 & 19

As you can see the idea is to start the activity almost at the start of term so... Go find/get your copy before it gets late!!

HOLTS Staff
Last edited by Ceri McHawk on Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:12 am

Oh, hooray! I'm glad that we're going to read, and discuss, The Hobbit. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

As hard as it is for me to believe, I remember that the first time I picked it up to read, in the school's library, I didn't like it! I barely got through the first few pages and put it down.

Then, a year or so later, I picked it up, started reading it again, and this time it was totally different to me! I was delighted with Bilbo and the dwarves and Gandalf and the whole story. Needless to say, I've reread both The Hobbit and the whole 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy many times.

This is fun; thank you HOLTS Staff for our ongoing adventure.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Brenna Westfeld
Oakshaft 79

Post by Brenna Westfeld » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:23 pm

I am also really excited to be reading the Hobbit again! My grade 6 teacher read it to us... well up until the party was coming home from Smaug's cave. Then he stopped! Of course, I had to go out and read it right away, because you can't miss the end of the story!

I really do love this book, and it's a great introduction to Middle-Earth for anyone who has never read/is intimidated by the Lord of the Rings.
Tambaqui Balthazar
Moontrimmer

Post by Tambaqui Balthazar » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:19 pm

Well, I kept putting it off reading this book and procrastinating about it but since you are doing this now I am determined to read this book for the first time and read it with the rest of LOTR fans!!

I can't wait to discuss it and all here as I read along!!
STOP THOSE DEATH THREATS! :(
(Please note, this signature is sarcastic!)
Morgana Mud
No broom

Post by Morgana Mud » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:02 pm

/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I'm so happy this is happening....I've had both the Hobbit and the Fellowship read to me as a child, but I've always put off actually reading them for myself now that I'm older. Until a few weeks ago, that is. I just started reading The Hobbit, but now I'll just wait and start over so I have people to discuss it with. Great idea!
Morgana Mud | mo800 | Ravenclaw First Year

"Ah music....a magic beyond all we do here." -Albus Dumbledore
Prof. Ruben Orion
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Ruben Orion » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:39 pm

Okay, everyone! Today is the day!

As you noticed from the schedule above, you are now able to start the discussion of the first chapter of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien's The Hobbit!

Here are some questions to help you... (answer is optional, they're only guidelines)

If you've read other Tolkien's books, do you believe the language of The Hobbit is easier to understand?
What did you think of An Unexpected Party?
For you, what was the funniest moment of the chapter?
Which of the characters introduced so far is your favourite and why?
And for those who are reading the book for the first time: do you think Bilbo has what it takes to help Thorin & Co.?
Why do you think Gandalf chose him?

Just tell us your thoughts! We're listening! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Last edited by Prof. Ruben Orion on Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:44 pm

Jumps in .... Wheeee I'm first! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

If you've read other Tolkien's books, do you believe the language of The Hobbit is easier to understand?

The Hobbit is easier for me to read; it is more of a straight-forward tale of adventure without the (I'm trying to think of a word and the best I can come up with right now is) nostalgia of the earliest histories. (That is NOT the correct word to use; it doesn't convey the 'mournfulness', the 'melancholy' that I seemed to feel in the earliest histories.)

I found it highly entertaining! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Such an imposition on a Hobbit!

My first remembrance, when reading your question, was that lovely song:
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Blunt the knives and bend the forks!
That's what Bilbo Baggins hates --
Smash the bottles and burn the corks!

....[snip]
Ending with:

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
So, carefully! carefully with the plates!

Of course the dwarves did none of these things.

Gandalf. Because he showed an impish sense of humour in choosing Bilbo (and, from what I have read in the LoTR, he was following a directive of sorts from 'high powers' when he enlisted Bilbo in this adventure).

(Of course, Bilbo IS a Took, being the son of the famous Belladonna Took, and members of the Took-clan are known to go off and have adventures, so it is no surprise that Gandalf would choose Bilbo. I must always remember, though, that Bilbo agreed to go on the adventure. It was his choice.)

I really like this story; I like the way it starts out with an almost legendary 'once upon a time' sort of atmosphere. (It reminds me somewhat of Winne the Pooh with that certain innocence which is delightful to read.) I think that when folks read The Hobbit, they will perhaps realize just what heroes Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin and Fatty are, because previously they wouldn't have been able to understand just how horrific the events of the LoTR are to folks born and raised in The Shire.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Ceri McHawk
No broom

Post by Ceri McHawk » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:36 pm

First of all is great to see that there are already memebrs who read the first chapter! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

From all the questions I would like to focus in one of my favourites moments of An Unexpected Party (because I have so many memorable moments of this first chapter!

You know what is inevitable for me? Picturing the poor Bilbo running across the "hole" while the dwarves are coming.
Imagine yourself, waiting comfortably at your house a cared person, or friend (though so far Gandalf is not Bilbo's friend /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> , while the tea moment is arriving and... One after the other the funny cheeky group is arriving, while you see your provisions coming down and down (and that is one of the most important things of your life, as it is for hobbits) and the "guests", so unknown for you, keep coming in and make you run from one end to the other of the house... I would become more insane than already am!
I love to picture that moment, the meeting, the first view of the group (that later when I read "other" Tolkien's book reminds me in a way that fellowship...).

As for the language... No doubts The Hobbit is the easiest one of Tolkien's books in this aspect. Is the beginning, is an amazing book for kids, and is the entrance key to the best world I've ever met. (Does this give you an idea about my idealism for consider J. R. R. Tolkien THE writer of last century?) /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />
Last edited by Ceri McHawk on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venefica vom Lehn
No broom

Post by Venefica vom Lehn » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:05 pm

I managed to finish the chapter just now (a friend's staying over still for another week, and we're currently sewing her Dúnadan-dress for the Ring*Con *grins*).

I do think so, yes. It is, after all, a children's book, and you can see that. And I just love the way he adresses his readers again and again, thus involving them a bit.

It's a very good opening chapter for a novel. He sort of jumps right into the action, but then he goes back and introduces the main character as well as Hobbits in general. In the course of the chapter, lots of information is given, but it's still nice to read, interesting, funny, everything.

The whole "Good morning" thing, probably. It's one of my favourite scenes ever. The way Gandalf manages to point out all those nuances and subtexts, it's just great.
But when it's described that Bilbo even loses his appetite from all the excitement and confusion and everything, that was also really good. Like so many other moments.

I feel most connected to Bilbo. Gandalf's great, too, even though he's a lot more gruffy here than in the films, but I just love Hobbits anyway. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

One of the things I really love about this chapter, too, is that it already has two poems. I read those aloud to my friend, and the way it rhymes, and the way it feels to say it, it's just great.
It's also really interesting to see all those hints at what would later become LotR - Moria, the Necromancer... Yet at the same time, this book has a different feeling to it. You can feel - at least that's my impression - that it wasn't completely set in the Middle-earth of the Silmarillion, but more in a place that's got quite a lot of things in common with our world.
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.
Taken from 50% Chance of Lightning by Cristina Salat.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has ever felt so right and natural and true and good.
Taken from Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.
Ceri McHawk
No broom

Post by Ceri McHawk » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:58 pm

Venefica vom Lehn wrote:QUOTE (Venefica vom Lehn @ Sep 13 2006, 06:05 PM) ...You can feel - at least that's my impression - that it wasn't completely set in the Middle-earth of the Silmarillion, but more in a place that's got quite a lot of things in common with our world.
Actually Vene (may nobody else than me feels this) I think that the hobbits uses, what concern to them; and mostly all that is described in this book is the closest view to our world, because yes, Tolkien write about manhood as well as characters of his art work; but I can't personally link myself to those humans (more into the "Middle Ages style") but I do can feel comfortable about hobbits.

Also this is maybe just part of my own insanity.
Brenna Delaney
No broom

Post by Brenna Delaney » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:20 am

Don't worry, you're not alone. I've considered myself to be a hobbit ever since Dad first read the book to us. I can identify with them a whole lot easier then I can with just about anyone else in any other book I've read. My absolute favorite part of the first chapter would have to be The 'That's what Bilbo Baggins hates' Song, as I just can't help but laugh and sing along with it. Poor Bilbo's reactions to the dwarves popping in one after another and how flummoxed he gets by the whole business are spectacular, very true to life and the language of it is just gorgeous. You can't help but love the poor fellow.
Last edited by Brenna Delaney on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Ruben Orion
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Ruben Orion » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:11 pm

Glad to see you all here!
*gives a mushroom to those who posted*

Now, my turn...

It is more than clear, I think, to everyone who reads The Hobbit that it is a children's book and that justifies the difference of language when comparing it, for instance, with The Silmarillion or The Lord of the Rings. This book is a great start for those people who loved the movies but can't get into the LOTR books. It will introduce you smoothly to Middle-earth and to Tolkien's writing.
As you said, Venefica, the chapter has two poems. For some people that's a plus, for others it isn't, but that is one of the things one needs to get used to when reading Tolkien. However, I believe that they're such an adorable part of the books that even someone who doesn't usually read poetry or isn't very fond of it will still enjoy those moments. It makes the whole thing more realistic and shows the care of the author to its work.

An Unexpected Party is a great chapter. I fully agree with you Tarma. The Hobbit does not carry the weight of Middle-earth's past as much as The Lord of the Rings. Of course LOTR has funny parts and all, but the shadow of Mordor is always reminding them that there is evil out there. In The Hobbit, the idea of Sauron coming back seems to be inexistent and only rarely are we told much of the older days. Once again, it is a children's book, and children would be confused with too much history, wouldnt they?
I also think that by the time Tolkien wrote The Hobbit, there were still many historical and geographical details he was not very sure about. We know The Silmarillion had been started long before that, yes, but we must not forget that it takes place mostly between Aman and Beleriand, which are now inaccessible and submerged respectively. This was an early Middle-earth in his mind, I think.
We kind of notice that on the map. At least, on my version, the Anduin is called Great River of Wilderland.

There are many funny moments in this chapter! The one's you've mentioned, Tarma and Venefica, are my favourites too. Gandalf's word games are superb.
"Good morning!" he said at last. "We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water." By this he meant that the conversation was at an end.
"What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!" said Gandalf. "Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off."

Also, I also liked: "We like the dark," said the dwarves. "Dark for dark business!..."

Thorin is my favourite character so far. He's such an important little dwarf... I just love him. I like when he's telling Bilbo about Erebor and all what happened with Smaug decades ago. I remember feeling sad when I first read this. They seemed to have a prosperous society and then pouf!
I also wonder why Tolkien killed the dragons on The Hobbit and didn't include them on LOTR. Perhaps they would be very powerful weapons for Sauron. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Tambaqui Balthazar
Moontrimmer

Post by Tambaqui Balthazar » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:00 pm

Hey Tolkien fans, this is my first time reading this book as I am trying to grasp an understanding of this novel and his language since it obviously very contrasting to what I normally read such as JK's book and books I have read at school.

This is my first time reading a Tolkien's book and I noticed how reading this book, it like Tolkien is telling the story himself because It not like JK's book where it from Harry's perspective. Like for example:

cellars, pantries (lots of these), .....

It like he is telling us from what he "sees" or "knows", even though he is the autor of the books.

I had trouble getting into it, at first because I was trying to get a grasp or concept of what the whole story is about so I had to re-read some details.

I love the introduction about a hobbit lifestyle and the description of them, it seems really fascinating and descriptive, you could easily see it like a movie. Even though we we got a brief description of Bilbo Baggin, but it enough to visual him and understand his family (His parents).

I loved the whole Dwarves visiting Bilbo scene and all especially when Bilbo started getting annoyed getting more visitors comming along un-announced and the whole aprehensiveness of subjects the dwarves were talking about like the word "throng".

Thorin's story was interesting too but it confusing for me to understand, but I understood that there is a dragon called Smaug (right?) that guards all the valuables (gold, silver, etc etc) and one day went to the town of Dale and killed most of the dwarves and such. Thorin also mentioned his grandfather was killed and his father just disappeared but left a Map which was given to Thorin.

Definitly the moment where Bilbo had continuous high expectation that Gandalf arrived but only to find dwarves. I can definitly find why he would get annoyed by un-announced visitors.

Definitly Bilbo, I feel I can understand and relate to him more. He definitly the type of character that seems more wary and very concious of the situation. Like from an offer from Gandalf about an adventure to the dwarves time at his house.

And for those who are reading the book for the first time: do you think Bilbo has what it takes to help Thorin & Co.?

I know his role is being a burgler but I don't fully understand that role and how it relates to Bilbo. Right now, I can't really make that judgement because this chapter was more focus on Thorin's story and the dwarves song and dance.

Since I have seen the Lord of the Rings movie, I am going to take a guess and say yes for him to "own that ring" at the start of the first movie (Please take not I haven't read any of Tolkien's books yet and just started reading this.)

I guess after Gandalf's first visit with Bilbo probably raised his 'alarms' saying that Bilbo is the one for the adventure and also since Gandalf is a wizard, surely that special priveliges might've hinted or pointed Gandalf into the right directed ie: Bilbo.
STOP THOSE DEATH THREATS! :(
(Please note, this signature is sarcastic!)
Ceri McHawk
No broom

Post by Ceri McHawk » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:14 pm

Interesting answers... I've found much to keep talking about /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

For example; indeed Tolkien give us many details about hobbits lifestyle, and those who read more of his art work, know that he use to make that with every important character he is writing about.
He barely leaves untied things and makes the reader feel comfortable enough with the sensation of knowing what and who are we talking about.
In my case, these details also allowed me to think how the character can react in front of a pointed situation.

He describes Bilbo's backgrounds (and forebears) because only knowing that you can understand why a hobbit (and Bilbo specially) can join the dwarves in the "adventure" they're calling him from. Also is the knowledge Gandalf has about this what makes him choose Bilbo Baggins as the burglar and not another; as is written before: he IS a Took after all, how would he deny the adventure?!

Now two pennies on Smaug... Yes, Smaug is a dragon, not an ordinary dragon and of course, plays SUCH a part in the story: it (or shall I call Smaug as he?) actually arrived to the mountain where Thorin's grandfather and his people lived, and he ruled; he killed all the dwarves that tried to defend their place and took over the treasure that was there. He did not leave the place; the surviving dwarves left it and moved because there was no way to take Smaug out from there...

Under my view the moment when Thorin tells the story is quite interesting and especially rich for have in mind for the development of the whole story.
Neia Black

Post by Neia Black » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:06 pm

I know it easier for me to undertand like Tarma said, but I know that what is telling us is beyond what we're reading. The stories become to have a certain reality when we continue reading the other books ans we find ourselves telling "oh, now I completely get what in the hobbit he was saying" is like they complete each other, but of course it has a consistance for itself, and I believe yes, the language is more understadable.

I laughed so hard, he really knows how to write comedy, I have to say is very cinemaotographic, since I can see everything that's happening there with my eyes open, and also, we begun to see that Mr. Bilbo is going to changem which is very interesting!

I love when the become to enter, one by one, one after the other, I mean Bilbo is almost having a nervous brakdown! I love that part! And they all enter so happily and with the "to serve you" words, lol! And Bilbo just wants them out of there!

Gandalf is my favourite character of all the books and of all times! It's very hard to leave him, he has such a way of seeing the world and doing things on it, but I also have simpathy for Bolger, he's just so sweet!
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Two

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:16 am

Honestly I think the reading is easier than other books, like the Silmarillion was very hard for me to keep up with. But the reading runs right along with the Lord of the Rings books in my opinion.

I thought it was funny and cute. Just imagining poor Bilbo running around his house, tring to be a good host to all these surprised guest dwarfs.

To me the funniest part of the chapter was when Bilbo's door bell kept going off, and he was confused about everyone showing up at his house. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Gandalf, of course. His character is just so mysterious in some way. Gandalf lets you know some parts of his travels and leaves other parts out just to keep you guessing. But as a reader you completely trust him, even when you don't know everything he's up to.

Well, this is technically my second time reading the book, but it has been a few years. So things are coming back to me slowly! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I think Gandalf choose him, because he himself has always been fasinated by Hobbits. And as we have heard other times, they are extrodinary creatures! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~pr_pad~*~Hufflepuff Co-HoH~
Prof. Ruben Orion
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Ruben Orion » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:24 pm

Thank You to everyone who participated already!

Sorry for the delay... You can now discuss the following chapters, according to the schedule: Roast Mutton and A Short Rest.

Again, some guiding questions: /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Which chapter did you enjoy reading the most, Roast Mutton or A Short Rest?
Why do you think the trolls have traditional english names (which is rare in Tolkien's work)?
What do you think that contributed the most to Bilbo's sucess with the trolls: luck, intelligence or courage?
If you read The Lord of the Rings, do you notice some differences between Rivendell/Elrond/Elvish culture in The Hobbit and there?
How do you feel about elvish culture in general?

Add anything you wish!
Last edited by Prof. Ruben Orion on Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:24 am

A Short Rest, because that is my first seeing of the Last Homely House, in the fair valley of Rivendell. Roast Mutton was pretty cool in that the mannerisms of folks started showing with the action shown in that chapter. I like that the dwarves starting making use of their burglar, will he or nil he. *g*

(I think that folks who have the idea of the ring stuck in their head for this story will miss the subtle beauty of this book, by the way. It really doesn't play such a big part; rather, in this book we find out about the different races of 'peoples', and what they are like.)

Why do you think the trolls have traditional english names (which is rare in Tolkien's work)?

Well... maybe he thought rather poorly of the trolls? I notice that the 'hero' roles throughout the stories are given to folks with non-English names. (The only hero 'person' I can think of off hand with an English name is Bill the pony, and that is in LoTR.) Interesting observation, Professor Orion.

What do you think that contributed the most to Bilbo's sucess with the trolls: luck, intelligence or courage?

Luck. He hadn't a clue and it was just lucky that Gandalf was around! Our burglar doesn't find his feet yet -- but he will.

If you read The Lord of the Rings, do you notice some differences between Rivendell/Elrond/Elvish culture in The Hobbit and there?

Yes, indeed. However, it is tradition, maybe, that dwarves and elves are not exactly the best of friends, so maybe that accounts for part of it. This is not intended to be a story of the destruction of evil, but a story about dwarves (and a hobbit) going on an adventure to seek treasure. Perhaps it was seen as inappropriate to put in more of the seriousness of which the elves are capable and just put in the lightness and almost frothy stuff (like that light-hearted song with which the elves greet the dwarves, Bilbo and Gandalf).

I feel that the elvish culture, as portrayed in LoTR, is more accurate than that portrayed in The Hobbit. However, at the same time, less than 100 years elapsed between The Hobbit and LoTR--not much time for an elf -- and the events which transpire on that small number of years really don't make much difference to a peoples who live for thousands of years. I think the seriousness of the elves in LoTR was a great deal influenced by the returning to strength of Sauron --- and that the gaiety, joy and 'impishness' of elves as shown in The Hobbit is actually indicative of their true nature.

~ ~ ~ ~
I have noticed, in my travels, many homes and abodes with the legend "Rivendell" on signs over or alongside their driveways. It seems that the core note of this wonderful place had quite a resonance within the hearts of many folks.
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venefica vom Lehn
No broom

Post by Venefica vom Lehn » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:36 pm

That's a really tough question. I think they were really different.
Roast Mutton was funny with the trolls, and it has a bit of tension in it - what will the Trolls do with Bilbo and the Dwarves, will they be saved...
A Short Rest, on the other hand, is very interesting when it comes to comparing the way the Elves are portrayed in this book with the way they are in LotR and The Silmarillion.

At least for me (and the friend who read that chapter to me *coughs* I made her, but she liked doing it anyway. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ) it was rather funny to stumble across such names in one of Tolkien's books. It seems pretty absurd, in a way. And I fancy the idea of thinking of ordinary people who you could meet in your everyday life, and compare them to the trolls. (If anybody can understand what I mean... Sorry, dunno how to put it.)

I think it was luck. Bilbo didn't really know what to do. The Trolls could just have picked him up and eaten him, and eaten the Dwarves, too, one by one. These wee fellows wouldn't have stood a chance of fighting the Trolls, and if Gandalf hadn't arrived on time, things would probably have taken the worst turn.

Oh yes! *nods* In this book, the Elves are just rather strange fellows, singing stupid songs and feeling far superior to everybody else, but in fact being, well, ridiculous? (Except for Elrond reading the runes and stuff.) Their ancient culture and everything is being hinted at, but it isn't as important as in the other books. Elrond is being portrayed as a man with knowledge, but even he doesn't feel as wise as in the other books, to my mind.

It is pretty interesting and, in a way, intriguing. The Elves in Tolkien's works have so much background, so much history, and that's very interesting to me. But I have always (except for their portrayal here in Rivendell in The Hobbit) felt them to be dangerous, too.

Tarma, your idea that the seriousness of the Elves in LotR is influenced by Sauron returning and the danger that comes along with that is very interesting. There might be something in it, I never thought of it like this before!
But on the other hand, I also still think that it has much to do with this being a children's book and being about Bilbo and the Dwarves, as you said as well.
But the other one... Great idea!

(By the way, I saw a city called "Bruchsal" yesterday - pretty close to "Bruchtal", how Rivendell is being called in German. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> )
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.
Taken from 50% Chance of Lightning by Cristina Salat.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has ever felt so right and natural and true and good.
Taken from Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Two

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:21 pm

Oh I forgot how fun this book was to read.... /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I think I liked Roast Mutton a little better. I love how the trolls are slower (for a better word) and Gandalf just adding in one liners to get them fighting and not aware of dawn approaching. Of course I love when the elfs are introduced in A short Rest. I just love Elrond.

Possibily he did this just to through the reader off. Add a little bit of mystery as a writer. If you as a reader expected something from the writer and he does something different is makes the story a bit more amusing. In my opinion!

Honestly luck, because Bilbo didn't do much except stare at what was going on. He kept fairly quiet for most of the time. Maybe he was being intelligent then.. hmmm /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Yes, the elves are protraled more silly, and giggling (hehe) in The Hobbit, then we are used to in The Lord of the Rings books. Elrond though, to me, is still as smart, cool, and collective as always.

I agree with Venefica, the elves go back to the beginning, and with all that history, and stories how could you not want to know more about them.
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~pr_pad~*~Hufflepuff Co-HoH~

Return to “HOLTS Activities”