Playing Boardgames Online

Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Playing Boardgames Online

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:36 am

I much prefer playing boardgames in person, but I've started exploring the idea of playing boardgames online.

A fellow HOLer mentioned a good site for Dominion, which I found was a great way to explore the expansions rather inexpensively. A few months back, I played against the bots quite regularly, although where possible I played against human players. While the bots were great, I was able to figure out some of their patterns and adapt my strategy accordingly (I also noticed that there was one particular combo that the bots didn't use when they had the necessary cards in their hand, so those games ended up being rather one-sided).

Steam currently has a sale on their digital boardgames (ending 6 August), which I'm very tempted to take advantage of. There's some great titles on offer, including Race for the Galaxy, Scythe, Splendor - as well as Tabletop Simulator, which in turn has additional discounted titles associated with it that can be bought.

I've also been looking into accessible options for playing boardgames online (apart from HOL's Gathering and Games, that is ;)), which I'm looking forward to testing out.

Do any of you play boardgames online?

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale
Silas Hipolito Crist
No broom

Re: Playing Boardgames Online

Post by Silas Hipolito Crist » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:08 am

I love to play chess online and on different sites (there are really many of them), because each chess bot has its own tactics and after time you can get to know it. It is also interesting when playing with other people online, but I prefer bots.
Then I have also been playing some rounds of Monopoly, but it is not such a fun as with real people.
Zen McGregor
No broom

Post by Zen McGregor » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:15 am

If they were multiplayer that could be a solution for us not being able to gather around.
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:32 pm

I also play online board games from time to time. Chess is a favorite as it requires me to develop strategy which keeps my brain happy. I also play checkers and monopoly, but the latter is rare. I do like playing against bots in order to give myself time to develop strategies, but playing against real people forces me to adapt, so I almost prefer that because it becomes a different learning experience.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “Games Talk”